Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple of days, Aria (12 week old chi) has been exposed to some agility equipment and, if I may brag a little, has done amazingly well with it. She's done the teeter, A-frame, and "jumps" (a pole on the ground).

Anyway, I'm having a huge amount of fun with it and she seems to be enjoying it as well, taking it all in stride. She's too young to start anything serious of course, but.. would it be completely ridiculous for me to pursue agility with her?

I'm going to hunt on YouTube and see if I can find any chihuahua agility videos, but if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

·
Banned
335 Posts
If you are interested in doing agility with your Chihuahua, then you have to check out the Mighty Mite Dog Sports Forums. It's a great place to learn about the small dog competitor in all kinds of sports.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You're not crazy!

At our agility club, there is a teacup yorkie that competes. The little guy can't weigh 5 lbs soaking wet... it's so cute watching him walk ALLLLL the way to the end of the teeter before it tips :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think it's a great idea :D Though, seeing as she is so young, I would hold off on most of the jumping till she is older and her bones have developed a bit more. ;) I think everything else should be fine though!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Of course you can :) Whether you train and never compete or decide to trial at some point, you and your Chi can have a blast :) Just be really careful to ensure she doesn't jump off anything (long fall + tiny bones...), and at 12 weeks (as you brought up) she's really too young to be jumping and such (though you could always run with the bar on the ground...or if that's still making her really jump, just run her through the uprights or leave jumps til she's older.

There is also a Teacup Dog Agility Association geared toward the tiny dogs, with somewhat smaller equipment (and a lighter teeter...tiny dogs go over some of the big heavy full size teeters can be rather difficult as they have to waaaaaaaait for the teeter to hit the ground before stepping off). Of course there's also the regular organizations.

Good luck!

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I have taken lessons from someone who competes a Long Haired Chi and a Papillon.

The jumps are very low.... LOL With the energy level of Chi's it seems to me that it makes sense to expend it on agility.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Before my chi got lazy and fat :rolleyes: we were going to try agility. Like Elana said it's perfect with their level of energy. My little guy just keeps going...and going...and going lol.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement! I need to sort out some financial issues so I can afford classes, but I think I will give it a try! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts