Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 4 year old Dutch Shepherd to the vet for a skin issue. He had red splotches on his belly, his side was really flaky and scabby and he was constantly licking it, and one ear was red inside and had a lot of "junk" in it. Anyways, the vet said it was likely just an allergy of some sort and prescribed him Hydroxyzine and Prednisone which cleared up all the issues within a week. He started having side effects week two (this week) from the Prednisone so I took him off of it and he's starting to return to normal.

The vet asked what I was feeding and I told her Blue Buffalo Large breed. She asked what flavor and I told her chicken. She suggested switching to a non-poultry based food because poultry is a pretty common food allergy in dogs. That was the first time I heard of that so I was wondering if anyone else had experiences with their dog(s) and poultry based food? I did buy new food today and got the Blue Buffalo Fish and Sweet Potato so we'll see how that works...which brings up the second part...

The new flavor of food is not large breed formula. Because of this, it doesn't have the joint support like the large breed formula did. It does have glucosamine...I think it was the same amount (400 mg/kg), but no chondroitin like the large breed did (300 mg/kg ). Being a 90 pound working dog, should I be concerned? Should I supplement? If so, how much of each would be a proper dose?

I'm also thinking about switching him to a grain free formula in the future.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Definitely have heard of poultry allergies, it's why there are "novelty" type meat sources out there like lamb, bison etc. Quite common. Hopefully the fish based food will clear it right up! One of my dogs has seasonal allergies in the summer, pretty much the same types of symptoms as yours with red sores on the belly and his ears will bother him. Since I've started adding salmon oil and coconut oil to their foods it has helped it TREMENDOUSLY. Salmon oil is also good for the joints.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, he's good for now with the meds. He's still on the anti-histamine but I took him off the steroid. Hopefully the new food will keep him cleared up long term. Luckily he likes it just fine. I'll look into adding some oil to his food now and then as well. We cook with coconut oil anyways so we always have it on hand.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Jax has had problems with poultry based food right from the start. He does best on either lamb or fish based foods

We've also been giving him 1 sardine per day (to help with his coat and provide nutrients,etc.) and 1-2 tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in his other meal for a variety of other benefits. He's done well so far (since we've made the changes) after a long battle with allergies (both seasonal and food based)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah, Cobber's another dog with apparent poultry issues - in his case it's less skin problems and more poo problems. I've tried Wellness poultry-free fish-based food, but he's not particularly crazy about it, so now we're on Merrick grain-free beef and sweet potato. So far, so good. Another recommended food is Canidae grain-free Sea, which is back to fish-based. But luckily there are more and more non-poultry options out there in kibble and canned food.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Buster has issues with corn, wheat, soy, chicken and lamb so we feed Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. Corn and wheat are also contact allergens for my big guy...corn is common in quite a few cleaning products (corn based deodorizers in Febreeze), wheat is common in "sensitive skin" dog shampoos.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I feed a USA made dry kibble called Victor performance with the added Glucosamine 800mg & Chondroitin 250mg-It also has Actigen, Lacto Sacc and Sel-Plex to support digestion and immune support. It a grain free food-no added corn, wheat, soy or gluten. I get it at the local feed store for about $33.00/40lb-I have been real happy with it and its a 5 star on the dog food scoring system.
I had to change my 90lb White German Shepherd several times until I found the food he could tolerate and eat.

We had a bad flea infestation from the crazy weather a while back and I think they had developed a resistance to the Frontline Plus I had been using on all the animals for the past 10yrs or so and my WGSD had massive hair loss, hot spot and itched like crazy from what appeared to be an allergy to the fleas-Once I got the fleas under control by treating the house, yard and trails we use on the 20ac and changed topical flea/tick products. I started him on a product called "PetImmune" by Palladius and within 2 week I could see hair re-growth, hot spots and red areas disappearing and he even had a shine to his coat for a white coat-The best part, the shedding decreased by at least 85%.
While this product is working well-I have since found a different product that I plan to switch him to for about the same price that looks a little better and it has the added Glucosamine & Chondroitin-It have to research the max dosage so I don't over dose him.

Anyone know the max dosage by chance?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts