Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried making meatballs for my doggos and they loved it!

I used chicken breast, a little bit of liver, carrots, pumpkin, portions of celery and mashed it using a blender. Then I made it into balls and I steamed it.

They seem to really love it!! Have you done this to your doggos? Other recipes besides chicken?

·
Super Moderator
2,919 Posts
Nice! We've gotten lazy since getting a dehydrator, most of our homemade dog treats are just plain dehydrated shreds of meal, lol. I also have dogs on the small size, so I prefer recipes that are easy to either make in smaller bites or are easily dividable. But I bet these are brilliant high-value rewards! If you don't mind making something super stinky, look up 'fishy fudge'. Some recipes call for garlic powder, which I can never recommend using with dogs, but the core recipe makes for a brilliant healthy treats most dogs go crazy for. Also totally freezing-friendly after cooking, so you can store larger batches easily and safely.

I think this is the original recipe? A Fish-Tastic Homemade Dog Treat Recipe

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
My dogs love tuna fudge, but I haven't made any in ages.

I made liver brownies once. Once was three times too many. :sick:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! We've gotten lazy since getting a dehydrator, most of our homemade dog treats are just plain dehydrated shreds of meal, lol. I also have dogs on the small size, so I prefer recipes that are easy to either make in smaller bites or are easily dividable. But I bet these are brilliant high-value rewards! If you don't mind making something super stinky, look up 'fishy fudge'. Some recipes call for garlic powder, which I can never recommend using with dogs, but the core recipe makes for a brilliant healthy treats most dogs go crazy for. Also totally freezing-friendly after cooking, so you can store larger batches easily and safely.

I think this is the original recipe? A Fish-Tastic Homemade Dog Treat Recipe
Yes! this is super easy to make, you just blend everything and steam.

I saw the recipe from a Youtube Vlogger haha! How come the recipe suggests garlic powder? That is a super no no! :(

·
Super Moderator
2,919 Posts
LeoRose is not wrong - liver absolutely stinks when you bake it. Dogs love it, but you and the rest of your household might regret it! I only tried it once - forget which recipe I used, I think I got it as part of a DIY kit gifted to me years ago - and it was a stinky, sticky mess so I've never tried again.

As for garlic powder, it's weird. Garlic and onions aren't acutely toxic to dogs, but if large amounts build up in their system it can cause anemia. Onions are worse than garlic, if I recall correctly, and garlic is even included in some commercial treats and dog products (it works as a flavor enhancer - it's used in fishkeeping to increase appetites for picky eaters, believe it or not!). There's very, very little chance of a small amount of garlic powder in a recipe actually harming a dog in most circumstances, but I personally feel it's not something I want to deliberately feed to my dogs. I don't worry if I accidentally drop a bit of seasoned meat or someone feeds them a treat with garlic in the ingredients or they get a lick of sauce as I'm doing dishes, but I'm not putting it in their everyday treats and food, you know?

Some people claim it has health benefits that outweigh the potential toxicity, including being a natural flea and tick repellant, but the evidence just isn't there for me to feel comfortable with this line of thinking at all. Usually I feel like supplements may or may not work, but there's no harm in trying and seeing if you get results! But in the case of garlic for dogs, there can be harm, especially if people assume they can give, say, garlic pills designed for humans to their dog. But it's a big reason why there's still debate around giving dogs garlic or not.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
How do you make liver brownies?! I think my dogs would definitely love it!
I'm pretty sure it was one of the recipes here. http://www.dragonbear.com/rec-livs.html It seriously stinks while it's baking. The dogs loved it. The house reeked of it for a week.

I, personally, don't worry about the small amounts of garlic powder called for in a lot of recipes, but always tell people that if they aren't comfortable with it, they don't have to add it.

Reactions: jeandecker76

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LeoRose is not wrong - liver absolutely stinks when you bake it. Dogs love it, but you and the rest of your household might regret it! I only tried it once - forget which recipe I used, I think I got it as part of a DIY kit gifted to me years ago - and it was a stinky, sticky mess so I've never tried again.

As for garlic powder, it's weird. Garlic and onions aren't acutely toxic to dogs, but if large amounts build up in their system it can cause anemia. Onions are worse than garlic, if I recall correctly, and garlic is even included in some commercial treats and dog products (it works as a flavor enhancer - it's used in fishkeeping to increase appetites for picky eaters, believe it or not!). There's very, very little chance of a small amount of garlic powder in a recipe actually harming a dog in most circumstances, but I personally feel it's not something I want to deliberately feed to my dogs. I don't worry if I accidentally drop a bit of seasoned meat or someone feeds them a treat with garlic in the ingredients or they get a lick of sauce as I'm doing dishes, but I'm not putting it in their everyday treats and food, you know?

Some people claim it has health benefits that outweigh the potential toxicity, including being a natural flea and tick repellant, but the evidence just isn't there for me to feel comfortable with this line of thinking at all. Usually I feel like supplements may or may not work, but there's no harm in trying and seeing if you get results! But in the case of garlic for dogs, there can be harm, especially if people assume they can give, say, garlic pills designed for humans to their dog. But it's a big reason why there's still debate around giving dogs garlic or not.
Maybe we'll just stick to steaming/boiling the liver! Haha! I'll try it once though, it looks fun but smelly. =))

I totally agree with you. It's something we really don't put/give every day. I was just wondering if your dogs take supplements? If so, what do they take? Mine has multi vitamins, fish oil and the seniors also get joint supplements. I also give them probiotics.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm pretty sure it was one of the recipes here. http://www.dragonbear.com/rec-livs.html It seriously stinks while it's baking. The dogs loved it. The house reeked of it for a week.

I, personally, don't worry about the small amounts of garlic powder called for in a lot of recipes, but always tell people that if they aren't comfortable with it, they don't have to add it.
Thanks for the recipe! It also has cookies! So cool, cookies but liver-flavored? Haha.

Yeah, it totally depends on the owner too.

·
Super Moderator
2,919 Posts
They both get fish oil with their dinner when we remember (so... every 2-4 days, depending?) but other than that, nothing. I've used probiotics for brief periods in the past when directly dealing with stomach issues, especially with my eldest (who's gotten more prone to constipation as he's gotten older), but not as an everyday thing. We do tend to rotate through flavors/brands with every new bag/box, and everything we feed as a meal is a complete diet, including the raw grind my youngest gets.

Well, except for the occasional raw meaty bone meal. But I don't really have a system, just whenever we remember to have something on hand and portioned for them. Sometimes it's 1-2x a month, sometimes it's every 3 months. That's more of an enrichment thing than a supplement, though.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My dogs love the occasional peanut butter treats but i dont do alot of homemaid treats for them. I usually buy sugarless freeze dried fruits, or they even like some dried crainberries as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts