Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making dinner and have the back, neck and giblets from a fresh chicken and would like to feed them to my dogs for a treat. It seems that the spine and neck has some pretty small bones, but if they are eating it raw will it be all right as far as choking? The dogs are 60 and 95 pounds so I consider them large breeds. Does that make a difference?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I guess I'm old-fashioned. The ONLY bones I give my dogs are boiled knuckle/joint beef bones or slices of beef leg bone that I know cannot be destroyed, even by our pit mix. I'm not taking any chances.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I would feed them. Be careful, if you think the dog will gulp the neck down you may want to hold on to the end of it for him! Chicken back is one of my dog's favorite bones.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I guess I'm old-fashioned. The ONLY bones I give my dogs are boiled knuckle/joint beef bones or slices of beef leg bone that I know cannot be destroyed, even by our pit mix. I'm not taking any chances.
The stronger weight-bearing bones, such as beef leg bones, are really not good for dogs. They can break a tooth.
Uncooked bones, especially chicken, are safe. It's the cooked bones that are absolutely dangerous. Cooked bones are brittle and prone to splintering. Also, cut bones, such as those in a pork chop, can also be dangerous due to the unnatural sharp pointy ends.

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I never give anything "sharp" ... when I said cut, I meant a chunk from the center of the leg. I don't know how else to describe it...hollowed out piece of beef leg for the small dog and those big huge leg bones for the larger dogs. I still disagree with giving chicken bones to dogs as I've seen them splinter and I'm not taking that chance. I guess we have to agree to disagree. :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I never give anything "sharp" ... when I said cut, I meant a chunk from the center of the leg. I don't know how else to describe it...hollowed out piece of beef leg for the small dog and those big huge leg bones for the larger dogs. I still disagree with giving chicken bones to dogs as I've seen them splinter and I'm not taking that chance. I guess we have to agree to disagree. :)
I am all for agreeing to disagree! Thank you for that. ;)

Just one more thing and then I'll shut up here;
Uncooked chicken bones are actually very soft and pliable. They will not splinter. However, cooked chicken bones will splinter and can be very dangerous.
For more info on this subject you can check out some of the stickies for raw feeding in the food forum and go to some of the links there. Lots of info about bones will be in there.

With that said I'm outta here. :D

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts