Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Some of you may of read my original thread about finding an Aussie breeder. After the long wait she has finally made it here!

This is after a play session! She sleeps like a rock. :O

This was earlier today, I think she fancies my boyfriend more than me! D:

We drove 3 hours to get to the airport and boy was I out of my element. Not to mention I really hate traveling, especially over bridges. This whole state will sink someday, I just know it. Anywho..

The past few days have been pretty exhausting but it's worth it. It seems like she can almost sleep through the night and she loves her crate. I think I took her out at the max 2 times and she's only 9 weeks. She hasn't had a pee accident yet, but she's had 2 poop accidents. I'm pretty sure the first one was my fault entirely because I didn't recognize her signals. Apparently she barks when she needs to go number two. The second accident was weird because I had brought her out just minutes before and she pooped/peed no problem. I guess she wasn't done! This may be a weird question, but since we take her out so often does she really know not to use it in here or is it just our good luck? What I mean is, the crating seems to be working like a charm, but does she really know she shouldn't pee in the house?

Also, she was on diamond dog food from her breeder and I've been trying to mix it with the Blue Buffalo Wilderness but she never seems to finish her meals. She's also been having extremely bad gas and runny poops. I wonder if the Blue Buffalo Wilderness is upsetting her tummy or is it just the transition? Other than that I've noticed she tries to eat her poop.. Yuck!

She's started trying to herd me almost immediately and I read up on it. I've tried the yelping thing and it really doesn't work and I've tried redirecting to toys, but she doesn't seem interested in them. This didn't help the introduction with our cat. :( He tried to approach her and she started barking. Ever since then he doesn't come anywhere near my bedroom anymore which is pretty upsetting because he usually sleeps up on the bed. Our vet thinks since he's still pretty young, that it is likely to work out. He still rolls around on his back and meows at me. The only thing is, when he approaches me and smells my pants legs he starts hissing. I'm not sure how I can make this better. Time will tell.

That's all for now!

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
but does she really know she shouldn't pee in the house?
Not yet. Too early.

She's just starting to make the association. You've had good luck + you're taking her out a lot.

As far as the cat goes, they are very sensitive animals. They are easily stressed, and you just turned him on his ear bringing in a new pet. Give him time, he'll adjust

·
Registered
915 Posts
Well the yelp/ouch method doesn't work overnight, it's a gradual process. :) Remember you are dealing with a baby, have patience and give her time to adjust. She's very cute!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
She's a cutie!

Well the yelp/ouch method doesn't work overnight, it's a gradual process. :) Remember you are dealing with a baby, have patience and give her time to adjust. She's very cute!
Quoting for emphasis :)

It will take longer than you expect to train a soft mouth and redirect/control herding. It's not like training sit or down, chewing and herding are natural behaviors and it will take time for her to learn how to control her instinctual impulses.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Very cute!

About the yelping thing - the yelp itself isn't the training. Almost no puppies actually respond to a yelp alone, except the very soft ones. The point of the yelp is to interrupt her briefly so that you can walk away and turn your back to her. She will eventually learn (and it may take a while) that the yelp means you are going to stop paying attention to her, which to most puppies is more than enough "punishment". Still, this training typically takes months, so keep your expectations low.

As others mentioned, she isn't house trained and doesn't know not to go inside. You are just doing a good job of taking her out often enough and using the crate when you can't directly supervise. Puppies don't have full control of their bladders until 6 months, so you have a few more months of just managing her until she will really "get it".

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! Thanks for the comments. I kind of figured she really didn't know about doing it in the house. She hasn't pooped today in the house, but peed a tiny bit because I caught her in the act. I had her out of the crate longer this afternoon and since it's been so hot I've been filling her water bowl a lot more then the previous days. It's around 105 outside and the central air in our house can't keep up with those temps for long during the summer. Anyways I was walking her outside and she didn't quite make it out the door. I guess "puppy taxi" is the way to go! How do I associate going outside without negative punishment? Am I doing everything I can at the moment? Take outside every hour she's not in the crate, after naps, meals, and play time?

Also, the cat decided to approach her today and even sat in the same room for over 30 minutes then left. She was busy eating and when she finished their eyes met. He of course let out one of those low growl/curious chirping noise. When she barked he puffed up and hissed, but surprisingly just sat under the kitchen table and watched her from a distance. Even though it sounds bad, I guess I count that as a plus considering he stuck around.

Edit: I'm trying the yelp method again and at least she stops now when I yelp really high pitched like. I have a feeling her breeder let them do tug ropes because she's really mouthy with hands. She actually broke the skin on my hand earlier.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Oh my gosh, that is one gorgeous aussie puppy. I LOVE her eyes. Reminds me when I brought my old aussie puppy home, the biting was insane and she definitely broke my skin more than once! Just stay persistent in everything you do. You are definitely doing everything right in regards to potty training. Praise, praise, praise when she goes outside. If she does have an accident, don't react at all except to take her outside and clean it up without issue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh thank you! I thought I was going to explode from the cuteness when I first saw her! She's a pretty sweet puppy overall, but oh my gosh does she like pulling on things! I didn't think she would try and pull a 24-pack of bottled water across the laundry room, but she did. LOL! I didn't know what to do, except laugh because I didn't expect a small puppy to do that. You turn your head for a second.. You never know what you'll see when you look back.. Haha. We've been trying to be entertaining since the weather is so hot outside this week, thank God for kongs. The peanut butter goes super fast though. :/

Super excited that my cat is coming around though. He ACTUALLY came into the bedroom tonight and snuggled up beside me, but as soon as he heard Chiana he did a meeerow/hiss combo and left. Hey, I find that awesome that he even set foot in here!

Looks like it's going to be a good weekend!

Random side note - Not sure if you any of you guys have a "Sonic Drive-In" near by but if bring your dog/puppy they give them a peanut butter biscuit. Thought that was so nice! :D

·
Registered
868 Posts
Aww she's so cute!!! Her coloring is gorgeous. Congrats on your new pup :)

Sometimes when transitioning to a new food there will be gas/loose poop. If you transition all the way and it's still like that, switch again. Cats generally just hate change but they usually get over it and start to accept it. My siamese/ragdoll has been really surprisingly tolerant only hissing when Ammy is in her face, and she hates everyone haha. We also got through a lot of peanut butter, have you been freezing it ? It lasts longer sometimes. How do you pronounce your girls name?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I freeze it for about 2-3 hours twice a day. It seems like she goes through it really fast though. I ordered the puppy version medium-sized version too, so hopefully that will get here tomorrow. I also bought her one of those crazy critter flat stuffed animals, and a blanket/stuffed animal type thing that squeaks. She loves that squeaker. O.O

Chiana is pronounced (Chee-ana), it's from a TV series called "Farscape". I loved the character Chiana and always thought that it was a pretty name. (I'm a huge Sci-Fi geek!)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187636/?ref_=sr_1 <--- If you like Sci-Fi, I highly recommend!

By the way, are you a photographer? How in the world did you get Ammy to sit so still?!

Edit: I think her stomach is finally getting better with the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy. Not as much gas, thank goodness. Puppy gas is putrid. Lol

·
Registered
868 Posts
I freeze it for about 2-3 hours twice a day. It seems like she goes through it really fast though. I ordered the puppy version medium-sized version too, so hopefully that will get here tomorrow. I also bought her one of those crazy critter flat stuffed animals, and a blanket/stuffed animal type thing that squeaks. She loves that squeaker. O.O

Chiana is pronounced (Chee-ana), it's from a TV series called "Farscape". I loved the character Chiana and always thought that it was a pretty name. (I'm a huge Sci-Fi geek!)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187636/?ref_=sr_1 <--- If you like Sci-Fi, I highly recommend!

By the way, are you a photographer? How in the world did you get Ammy to sit so still?!

Edit: I think her stomach is finally getting better with the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy. Not as much gas, thank goodness. Puppy gas is putrid. Lol
Haha I am a photographer, mostly with treats (and my fiancee) or she'd run around a bunch and then I'd take pictures of her as she was settling down :). I wish I had taken more of her when she was really tiny, but I was just so tired all the time from puppy watching! Glad blue wilderness is working for you, it works really well for us. I can't wait to see more pics!!

Also I am a doctor who and stargate fan, but I've never watched farscape. Maybe I will check it out :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Figured as much! Your photos are beautiful! I'm just an amateur, hopefully I can get some shots in that look actually decent. Like you said, I'm just so tired from watching her every second and I have help! She sleeps but then we try to walk/play several times during the day and it's so exhausting especially with the constant biting! My legs and ankles are scratched up and bruised already!

OH BOY, today it was raining and she loved the rain... Only she got pretty excited and my shoes had no traction. Down I went in on the porch into the patio table, the good thing is she did her business while I was in pain. First split of my life :laugh:
I really hope no one saw me "bite the dust" haha.

I'm also a huge Doctor Who and Stargate fan! A while ago I went through SG-1 and SGA on netflix again. Seems like all I do is watch tv in my free time. What am I going to do when my semester starts again?! Ahhhh! Let's not think about that just yet!

·
Registered
868 Posts
I rewatched it the first week I got Ammy during my spring break haha! I can never get past season 9 though sg-1 just isn't the same without Jack :(. I was also supposed to have help that first week but my fiancée was visiting his family -.-. It was a lot better when he came back.

My hands were pretty torn up for the first month, she's more of an ankle biter now at 6.5 months. We're working in that :p

Hope you're okay from your spontaneous splits!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I completely agree, Jack was definitely my favorite besides Teal'Q. I liked SGA okay, but I definitely preferred SG-1. Dunno if you watched SGU or not, but it was ALRIGHT but was cut short.
Oh yeah, Battlestar Galactica is another good Scifi series - Check it out if you haven't.

I would probably go "cray-cray" without help. The problem is, she ONLY nips at me and I think it's because I don't wear shoes unless we're outside. She sees my toes and is like "OMG NEW CHEWIES". I've started getting up and leaving the room when she does that and I think it's helping.

Question: What kind of treats did you use to train Ammy with and how did that go at first? It seems Chiana only pays attention after a really hard playtime and then she's sooo exhausted and her little eyes start to droop. Maybe my treats aren't interesting enough?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts