Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:My sister has two 6 month old male chi's and they have NO training what so ever at all. They are scared and fearful of everything and just about everyone..... But we are trying to help them with this ( she lives next door to me ) Are chi's much harder than a bigger dog to train in average? I just have never heard this before I know every dog is diffrent and every breed is diffrent but I want to know if its impossible to train them for simple tasks such as sit, stay, ect. Not tricks just the basic commands I have not even tried yet but I am wondering and I guess I will go from here.

Also I just got the book "The Other End Of The Leash" So far it is a great book I am only 30 pages in and like it alot so far I got this is help with my dogs and just a better understanding all around. Now I just ordered "Control Unleashed" I cant wait for this to come I have heard alot a good things about these 2 books.. Any other you all would reccomnd as good reading to understand and train my dogs better....

Thank everyone You guys always ROCK!!!!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I own a 6 month-old Chihuahua who knows sit, wait, down, crawl, spin, beg, shake and opposite paw, high five, BANG (play dead), and a few more. She has a pretty reliable wait, even when the door's open, and an almost perfect recall.

So, yes, they can be trained with patience and consistency--just like any other dog. :)

There's also a video on youtube of a chihuahua doing a number of impressive tricks, but I forget the location.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your answer I couldnt imagine an intire breed of dogs that could not be trained but they really are VERY different from my big dogs and all big dogs I have been around. I dont really know how to explain this but they are just really diff. I have always been aroung big dogs and the people that I know that have small dogs I am not around them enough to know how they behave so this is a new thing and a learning cruve for me also. So do you have any advice or words of wisdom on how to help them.....?:D

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Mm, I'd say do not use a forceful approach with them. I've heard--not experienced, as my puppy began training at day one--that Chihuahuas can be stubborn and react very negatively to a forceful hand. I trained Misty with only positive reinforcement--treats and toys.

One good method to use is NILIF--there's a sticky explaining it one of the Training forums. It's basically making them work for resources. For example, Misty must obey a series of commands before I will allow her to her food bowl, and she must also wait until I release her before she begins eating. Same goes before opening a door to go outside or come inside and for greeting other people/dogs.

I primarily used luring to train her--meaning you lure her into a sit/lay/play dead position with a treat--but there are many other ways.

Just be patient and consistent and you should have the boys trained in no time.

And it might make things easier on you to train each one separate from the other.. Meaning have a short training session with just one, alone, then another session with the other alone. It reduces the distraction of having their playmate nearby while trying to learn. :)

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I agree, no forceful training, no forceful training needs to be used on any dog really.

First step is find what motivates them the most, like what type of food, cheese, hot dogs, etc..

Work on simple things first, and work up until they are starting to use their brain.

It's really hard to break chihuahua's of bad habits once they get small dog syndrome, which basically means they think their huge and will act like little brats because their owners let them get away with everything.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
A Chi was one of my first dogs and one of the smartest. We put him up on the center island to teach the sit and down so that we wouldn't have to bend over him (forcing him to back up). We also used a long handled spoon with peanut butter to teach heeling.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you both. Yes I only usally positive with all my animals I have a HUGE problem with harsh training or anything like that lol. I just would like to train them a little for my sis so they listen a little and so they are more social. My girls are social butterflys lol. Yes they already have the small dog syndrome and act real bratty for the most part. They come over daily and I just want them to have some manners and if I can train them a little everyone at my house will prob be amazed they all are already 100% sure they cant be trained like "regular dogs" is what they keep telling me. I keep telling them they are just like any other dog just pint size with big dog attitudes..... Why is it that some people ( NOT ALL ) let their little dogs get away with so much more and act the way they do just because they are small... ? Iwould never think well Lucy weighs 90 pounds so she is allowed to do whatever she wants. Hum makes no sence lol

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I think the difference that you're noticing with them is not because of their breed, but rather the attitude they've been allowed to grow up with and the fact that they haven't learned how to learn.

I would pick up "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller... which has very good guides on teaching basic obedience, and some tricks as well. I would also implement NILIF, but it's very important that their family back home be consistent with the NILIF as well. If you're not confident that they can be, then there's little point.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are always so great thank you all for all the info you guys are the best you are all so helpful and the time you all take out of your day to do things for others I am really really thankful. And I am going to print out the NILIF for my sis and also use it here they come over daily to play with my dogs. I will update you all and thanks for the links and book sugg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts