Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Chewy.com seems to have a new house brand of dog food. The nutritional specs look pretty good, but I'm disappointed that I cannot find out who is the manufacturer.

Several posts online mention that Chewy declines to name the company producing the food (excepting to name the state that it is from) which is mildly sketchy to me.

Anyone tried "American Journey" or have any further info on where it is made? 50% off a first bag and a reasonable price afterwards got my attention but more info would be nice.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Third time trying to type this out. Dang backspace! The idea of what I've been trying to say is I'd be interested in trying it if they'd give some more info as it is same price and quality as Quill's current food (maybe even slightly better quality!).

I just tried asking and got this response: "American Journey is manufactured through a third-party facility so any information such as their name, for example, belongs solely to them. We're unable to share the facility's name due to their independent ownership."

I then said, "So there is no way to know who is manufacturing, or their history with manufacturing products?"

And was told: "At this time we don't have access to that information, although we do know the manufacturing facility has rigorous quality systems in place to manage food safety risks and provide safe products. The facility has a current Hazard Analysis Critical Control Plan (HACCP) in place, received SQF Level 3 certification, and performs continuous quality checks on the food. Chewy has tested all formulas to ensure it provides quality nutrients, good digestibility and excellent taste."

So, yeah, that's about all they want to give regarding who is producing it. So unless someone has some inside info, it may remain a secret!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Those responses are so shady to me, and I don't believe their reasoning. I was looking at this food too but I think I'll pass.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Absolutely unacceptable answer for me. Both 'not knowing' or 'not sharing' means I will not be buying that product.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yeah, if they are willing to keep it quiet at the risk of losing a lot of customers, it makes you wonder what they worry would happen if they said who was manufacturing it...

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
I just sent them an email because I find this very infuriating for some reason... And will update this thread with whatever response I get. But any good facility would want to share its name with dog owners, don't you think? This is all very fishy to me.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only thing I could find was some speculation on a breed-specific forum because one person got a response that it was manufactured in Kansas. But another person in the same thread got the response Marvel got-- a whole lot of nothing.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Well, I will give them an A for replying promptly. But still, not gonna by the food if this is the answer:

"At this time we can't tell you the name of the third-party facility because they make kibble for other brands however I can tell you that these Recipes are produced in Kansas and the manufacturing facility has rigorous quality systems in place to manage food safety risks and provide safe products."

·
Registered
6,657 Posts

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Pet food companies like to have their plants in states with favorable tax laws and lax worker's rights laws. North Sioux City, SD has Iams and Royal Canin. That way they get the tax/worker's laws of South Dakota but the work force of Sioux City. So the dog food plants do tend to cluster up.

The bag sort of looks like Nature's Variety. Not that that means anything :p (darn it, NV is made in Lincoln NE). But why wouldn't the manufacturer want to claim it? Weird.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And if it IS made in Kansas you can't even narrow it down by state.... there's apparently over a dozen dog food manufacturing facilities in Kansas! http://www.petfoodindustry.com/blog...obal-pet-food-industry-centered-in-us-midwest
Exactly. It doesn't narrow it down at all and I would expect they know that when they are giving their reply. Many, many contract manufacturers for private label foods around Kansas City.

Many companies use co-packers rather than produce all their food in-house. Not a big deal but if you don't know who is making the food, then you can't look at their recall history and quality control.
Truth About Pet Food site has an older list of who makes what, things have probably changed but it shows who the big players are

As a wild guess, Simmons Pet Foods might be who Chewy is using and I only say that because they've had some recent expansions in their manufacturing capabilities that are timed similarly to getting a new large contract for dog/cat food.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I wonder if they had some sort of non-disclosure agreement as part of the contract? But that seems so weird for a dog food company.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Pro Pet also advertises custom dog food manufacturing: http://www.propet.com/services/

I imagine it'll get out eventually. I know that Whole Dog Journal now prioritizes transparency in their "approved dog food list" so I think companies will adjust to those expectations.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I love Chewy. Best prices I could find for my dog's food and excellent customer service. But I'll have to pass on this one. I don't like my dog food to sound like a secret lol. Fromm is working well for us anyway.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Made a quick video of the food in case anyone is curious. I have a verbal processing disorder so no laughing at me for saying "this is where the company is manufactured." I meant to say based. ;(

If you're tight on cash and your dog doesn't have allergies to chicken then go for it. If not, eh.
Dog, adorable. Especially the high five. Wouldn't have noticed the verbal slip actually as better than many home vids narration wise anyways.

Useful to see the kibble size, some very very small kibble isn't easy to eat for large dogs and vice versa.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Awesome, thanks! It looks similar in shape/size to TotW

1 - 20 of 29 Posts