Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black lab mutt, approx. 10 weeks old.
Typical frequent chewing – not surprising – but mostly chewing ME. If it’s attached to me (robe, shoes, shoelaces, belt, pants, hair, fingers, this dog is relentless). I can SOMETIMES fool him into thinking what I am shoving in his mouth is part of me (like a dishcloth…).
Treats or toys or tennis balls, etc. – he knows immediately those things are not me. He only wants to chew ME or something I am wearing. He will take what I put in his mouth, move away momentarily, throw the new thing on the floor, then POUNCE back on whatever piece of me he can reach.
I would take his toys (ME) away, and leave him to ponder that – but I cannot, as he is literally attached. All I can do is pick him up and place him in his pen (NOT his crate). Once he’s in the pen, he’s immediately calm, and will not play with any toy. He will whine if I leave the room, and sleep if I wait him out. He practically never plays alone.
I have yelped and so on – this has limited the accidental biting-skin problems; he’s pretty much reduced to gnawing shoelaces, and other clothes, which makes walking a real problem.
He is otherwise excellent for his age. When is not eating my shirt, he will do some easy tricks, walks nice on the leash, we’re working on recall, and he’s quite healthy and happy. But woe be to the unknowing early-morning person who does not have slippers on. The first thing you feel will be fangs in your toe.
Ideas?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I know the feeling completely. We've had our pup for 10 wks now (he's 18 wks) and the only thing that seems to have helped with the biting is age. It is getting better. My husband and I were commenting recently how we can have Hamilton sit with us now without us having to have a toy in hand for him to bite.

I asked the trainer we take classes with about what to do when he is literally attached to my clothing (leg goes up? Pup goes up!) since you're supposed to ignore and get away, and she said in that case, detach him from your clothing, and THEN step away over the baby gate. She recommended playing right next to the gate, or keeping him on a leash attached to something other than you, so you can just step out of his range and turn away.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
He is a Lab, Labs gotta chew, but it sounds like you're experienced with this foundation of the canine empire :)

If you have the Yelp working, you can yelp when he bites anything, not just you, to try to teach him what NOT to bite. But he always needs something to chew, and it increases as he gets older. That's why you want to manage it now and remove as many 'unchewables' as practical.

However, to address your main problem - He bites your clothes etc., not because he's gotta chew, but because he wants to play with you. And you are a gigantic chew toy :) When he just wants to chew, he's happy to do that alone... well, maybe with you nearby watching. But when he wants to play, he wants to play with you.

Labs want to chew all the time (sometimes even when they're sleeping). but they don't want to play all the time (not in their sleep, while they eat, or poop)... only most of the time. My 11 yo Lab mix wants to play most of the time... when he's awake.... fortunately, he sleeps 18 hours a day or more... whew!

So what do you do? Teach him some games, such as tug and fetch. Teach him some rigid rules as a pup, and he'll careful but enthusiastic as an adult. Yelp when he bites anything on you. Stop the game and go inside the house and cry (or stay where he can see you an apologize), if he bites you, rather than the tug toy... or if if tries to play keep away... Btw, Labs love to be chased... and they can run fast. Does that help?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are great ideas - thanks, both of you!

Yeah, he's the small guy of the litter, only 4 lbs at 8 weeks - but he's growing fast. (His siblings are not small.) It has worked out well, because the (skin) chewing is STILL not too painful - and we're working hard to curb it.

He has, however, reached a size where he can now outrun me!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hang in there. They do get better. My pup is 6 months old and still likes to gnaw on my hands but it is very gentle now. Our puppy teacher told me to YELL LOUD when she does it....so loud the neighbors could hear! If I just yelped it excited her more. A couple real loud yells have really helped us. She used to be attached to my pantleg but I can actually walk around now without a dog hanging off my pantleg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts