Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we just adopted a 6 month old Great Dane/??? (boxer? lab? pittie?) mix. He is a chewer, big time. I have plenty of things for him to keep him occupied while he's supervised, but we obviously have to crate him when I can't be with him, and he's already destroyed 2 crate mattresses.

I've been looking into those Kuranda Chewproof mattresses, but wondering if anyone here has some IRL reviews of them or other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Do you provide him with anything to chew while he is crated? I like to give kongs filled with PB or edible chews such as bully sticks.

I am not sure if he needs a mattress or not, but some dogs who have lost the privilege of having such in their crates get by with a light blanket or towel or nothing. How long are you leaving him in the crate for?

I have never tried the product but IMO a GD X will be able to chew whatever he wants. XD

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you provide him with anything to chew while he is crated? I like to give kongs filled with PB or edible chews such as bully sticks.

I am not sure if he needs a mattress or not, but some dogs who have lost the privilege of having such in their crates get by with a light blanket or towel or nothing. How long are you leaving him in the crate for?

I have never tried the product but IMO a GD X will be able to chew whatever he wants. XD
Yes, I toss a Kong in there every time he will be in there for more than a few minutes. I also make sure I walk him before he goes in. We walk about 4 miles a day, and that works well for him until I put him in his crate. Then it's like all the walking goes out the window. If he's not in his crate, he's snoozing on his dog bed after a walk.

He really isn't in there for very long - today I was out of the house for about 45 minutes and in that time he shredded his mattress. I have thought about taking the mattress out altogether but it looks so uncomfortable - and he'd probably try to chew the tray.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Typical typical. XD

Have you tried other chewies? Maybe a kong just isn't up to par?

My vote would be for removing any kind of mattress. Put a towel in there and see what happens. If he shreds that too, then nothing for him until he can prove otherwise. Then work your way back up to a comfy dog bed. I would guess its a frustration issue. Does he seem to enjoy his crate or not so much really? I worked with a dog once who for the life of him could not be trusted with any kind of soft padding in his crate. He was over a year and a half before he could be trusted with anything. So don't feel bad! Since he is not in the crate for long periods of time, I would think he will be just fine laying on the tray.

My only question about this is his joints. I don't want to go advising you to not give any padding if it will negatively effective his soundness. I have limited experience working with GDs, so I hope someone else will chime in or maybe you can post another question regarding this issue in particular.

I take it the pup in your avatar is him? He is absolutely stunning! Can you post more pictures? Pretty please. I own a Pit Bull and GDs are one of my favorite breeds...

OH! I just noticed you are in MA/NH too... Depending on my mood, the weather, whatever, I am either in MA or NH. Be careful I am a snatcher of adorable puppers and I love puppy breath.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I leave him with a Kong every time, but he hates the crate and needs to be coaxed into it. He blew through a $20 antler in about 2 hours. I hesitate to invest in a pizzle knowing he will swallow it whole as soon as he has it chewed down.

Thanks again for the feedback. Where in NH are you? We are in MA but at Winnipesaukee whenever possible. :)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I would definitely work on more crate training in this case. Get him really comfortable with being in there and just relaxing. You can try feeding him in his crate as well. It might take quite a bit for him to realize crate=good stuff, but it will be very worth it. In the meantime, I would leave him with minimal or no padding. I would worry about him ingesting the material.

I would also experiment with other chews. See what peaks his interest and what lasts the longest. If you leave at the appropriate time, you can fill the kong with his meal. There are also other interactive toys you can get that involve him using his mind to get the reward.

I am in Manchester, but I spend a few days a week down on the North Shore, in Danvers/Beverly.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Yes, I leave him with a Kong every time, but he hates the crate and needs to be coaxed into it. He blew through a $20 antler in about 2 hours. I hesitate to invest in a pizzle knowing he will swallow it whole as soon as he has it chewed down.

Thanks again for the feedback. Where in NH are you? We are in MA but at Winnipesaukee whenever possible. :)
I'm not who you directed that to but I live on the Gilford/Laconia line....Lake Winnipesaukee is 3min from my house, Lake Winnisquam is five min away! To answer your question, they're pricey but look at the Orvis website, do a search for their chewproof pads

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
In have never been able to find a chewproof anything if the dog really puts its mind to chewing. Until they proved otherwise my dogs didn't get anything in their crates while they were in shred mode. I was always hesitated because I didn't want them ingesting anything they shredded.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My ex has a chewer. It doesn't matter if it is "chew proof" or not, he will chew through it. Anything that a dog gets in those back molars and gnaws on long enough is going to tear and then they just have a great time from there.

We both started investing in those cheap/thin fleece blankets (sometimes in the $1 section at Target) or cheap sheets/blankets from Goodwill. Those go in the crates of the dogs who are chewers because it doesn't matter if they're ruined, they were cheap. BUT, be careful... a dog ingesting a string that can get hung up in their intestines can result in a VERY expensive surgery.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Though I have not tried this yet..........It was suggested to me to use cow or horse mats. I guess you can get them at a farm store. I also have a chewer big time! :) I was told to be sure to look and make sure they do not feel oily. Also you have to cut them to fit. This was told to me from some people who own Rottweilers who like to chew. :)

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Will he chew basically anything or is it more about texture and the fun of shredding bedding? One option might be the rubber floor tiles or flooring mats (look at farm supply stores) which you can cut to size to fit tightly in the crate bottom. Tough to grab the edge of, no fun shredding action, waterproof but still gives cushion and insulation. You could even glue the mat into the crate. Not chew proof, but maybe less tempting and wouldn't have the worry of the dog swallowing strings like from a shredded towel. I suppose he could swallow bits of rubber if he really went for it though.

Ha-- Abbylynn, great minds :) I hadn't refreshed the screen before I typed my response so I didn't see your post.

You can also buy the rubber floor tiles online, they are made for indoor use like kid's playrooms and doggie daycares. They tend to be thinner than the farm store mats which are made for horse stalls and are usually more like 1 inch thick of HEAVY rubber. 1/2 or 5/8 inch is the usual thickness for the residential tiles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the great suggestions!! I'll look for a horse mat and report back. Figures, I was just at Dover Saddlery last weekend. ;)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
One other thing you could consider is having the mattress "strapped in". I made the crate mattress for Caeda and made sure it fit the crate perfectly, then I sewed clips onto all four corners and the matching ends to the crate itself, underneath. When I clip it in she can't lift it up enough to get her jaws around it. I did this mainly because occasionally, when she is hyper, hasn't had enough exercise (yes, our fault, it happens rarely), and agitated because of all of this and wants out she sometimes will "dig" at her mattress. If the mattress is loose she'll get her teeth on the corners and start a shred-fest. It very rarely happens now, but the clips have made ALL the difference in the world, downside is that it is awkward to get out. Its lasted four months and several washings and cost a grand total of $30 (including the mattress) :)
I'm sure clips could be sewed to a purchased mattress too and might stop it from being lifted enough to be chewed at. If this is something you are interested in and want to know how I did the clips I can post a picture.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
lol first thing I thought at the title is a Kuranda, I have several,. I love them.

on the kurnada some dogs do chew on the frames, any part that chewed as to be unusable, Kuranda will replace no charge. you can also get ones with a steel frame instead of PVC.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not who you directed that to but I live on the Gilford/Laconia line....Lake Winnipesaukee is 3min from my house, Lake Winnisquam is five min away! To answer your question, they're pricey but look at the Orvis website, do a search for their chewproof pads
We're on the other side of the lake, in Tuftonboro. :) Thanks for the Orvis tip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts