Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Teddy has chewed through my computer cord (luckily had an extra) and a few shoes.. how do I get him to stop? I'm completely clueless especially when I am gone?

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
What a cutie! How could someone so sweet be so destructive ;)

I'm sure one of the experts will be along to answer your question, but here's my advice (as a novice). Teddy shouldn't have access to things he can chew. Shoes, tv remotes, books, etc., should be kept out of reach (e.g., in closets, on high tables, in drawers). For things like cords, woodwork, cabinets, you can contain him in an x-pen or keep him tethered to you unless you can devote your full attention to watching him. When you're gone, he should be in a puppy-safe place [e.g., crated, inside an x-pen, puppy-safe room (bathrooms - with chewables out of reach - are often good choices)]. All of this will help with potty training, too.

If you are able to devote full attention to him, watch for signs that he's headed towards something he shouldn't chew (e.g., cords, furniture). Before he can get to the item, redirect him and offer an acceptable chew toy. This web site (Kikopup's free videos) has great videos on dog training, including How to Stop Unwanted Behavior and How to Stop Mouthing and Biting in Puppies.

Hope that helps. Like I said, the experts will be around to help, too!

·
Registered
76 Posts
What a cutie! How could someone so sweet be so destructive ;)

I'm sure one of the experts will be along to answer your question, but here's my advice (as a novice). Teddy shouldn't have access to things he can chew. Shoes, tv remotes, books, etc., should be kept out of reach (e.g., in closets, on high tables, in drawers). For things like cords, woodwork, cabinets, you can contain him in an x-pen or keep him tethered to you unless you can devote your full attention to watching him. When you're gone, he should be in a puppy-safe place [e.g., crated, inside an x-pen, puppy-safe room (bathrooms - with chewables out of reach - are often good choices)]. All of this will help with potty training, too.

If you are able to devote full attention to him, watch for signs that he's headed towards something he shouldn't chew (e.g., cords, furniture). Before he can get to the item, redirect him and offer an acceptable chew toy. This web site (Kikopup's free videos) has great videos on dog training, including How to Stop Unwanted Behavior and How to Stop Mouthing and Biting in Puppies.

Hope that helps. Like I said, the experts will be around to help, too!
Cookie face register to take CCPDT sounds like you are an expert already great advise :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Cookieface has it right. Put shoes, toys, socks, etc. away or up high enough he can't reach. For cords, they sell all kinds of covers for them. When he does try to chew something he shouldn't, give him a toy. Praise him for chewing toys anytime you see him do it. Eventually, he'll figure out that toys are for chewing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts