Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted before about my puppy chewing wood. I've been using the bitter spray on the small areas and that seems to be working. Now, the problem is we have steps that he goes outside to that he has been chewing on. Is there something that is not completely expensive and in large amounts that we could put on the stairs. They still need to be able to use it, just not chew on them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
How small is the puppy? He might he teething. They lose their baby teeth at around 4 months. I suggest getting chew toys for him and actually showing him how to play/bite them. There's some that you can put in the freezer and the cold comforts their gums. We raised four puppies and some used to chew the foot boards and one actually bit pieces of the wall! They need to exert their energy somehow. They bite stuff sometimes because they're bored.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Size and breed ? Most mammals do not like capcaisin - hot pepper sauce, and it works faster for some dogs than bitter apple. Sometimes the smell of vinegar will repel a dog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
oh wow, he's big. Most puppies have TONS of energy and need to exert it somehow. Since you have a large breed dog, he's going to require more exercise. The more he exercises, the less energy he'll have to destroy/bite things. Crate him when you're not home and leave him an "approved" chew toy and exercise him when you can

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem with crating him is there is two days where we aren't there for a good 10 hours or so. We leave them on the porch with the AC and they have access to the back yard that is fenced in. I think that is too long to crate him but I want to make sure he will still use the stairs, just not chew them. I don't want to spray something on them for him to not chew and then he won't even use them, that is my concern.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Try small amounts of Pepper Spray onto a rag then applied to areas being chewed. Works at our house....For anyhow!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts