Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 month old kingfish pitbull who has so far chewed and completely destroyed an entire loveseat and couch, a floor speaker, several lamps and my sanity. I was told to not physically strike the dog with any object such as a rolled up paper, but to yell or make a loud noise and show him to his chew toys. I have tried this, he does not show interest in any chew toys over anything else I would rather him not chew on. I have also tried using a souring spray that I picked up, the dog will still chew the item no matter how foul the taste. I have moved everything out of my livingroom to cure the behavior. I was told when I purchased the dog that he was going to be a chewing type dog but I am at a total loss of what to do. I also have a 5 year old American Pitbull in the home that is not taking too well to the little ones behavior.

·
Banned
749 Posts
In addition to the above advice try a few stuffed Kongs to keep the dog chewing what is appropriate. Crate the dog when it can't be watched.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I'd suggest purchasing a crate and crate training him. He should be confined to the crate when your not home until his chewing stage has stopped......which could be a long while yet.

He's teething, and that could last a few more months yet. Even once the teething has finished, he may hit a rebellious stage and start it all over again. My boy PJ was 15 months before he finally stopped chewing stuff around the house. He was always crated when I wasn't home, but as he got older I randomly tested him for short periods to see how he'd be, and a few items were destroyed in the process.

As far as finding him alternate things to chew, try wetting then wringing out a dish towel, (leave it in the wrung out shape, tight/scrunched) and freeze it. Do it again with another one so there's always one frozen. Many teething dogs like this type of thing to chew on, as it numbs the pain. Just be sure to take it away if he starts to actually rip pieces off of it.

Other than that, it's trial and error trying to find something that appeals to them more than your household items. Some people get a Kong and stuff it with peanut butter and freeze it, then give it to their dogs. They can spend hours trying to get all of the peanut butter out of it.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Where are you when your puppy is doing all this?

I also suggest a crate for when you cant be with him....also both dogs should always be supervised while together

If he stats chewing on something you don't want him to then redirect him to an appropriate toy or kong :)....BB posted great advice

I always thought Kingfish was just a bloodline of the APBT?...

P.S....Pit bull is two words :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes a Kingfish is a bloodline of the APBT, the puppy I have is papered the older one I got as a rescue and she is an unknown line. I do not crate the dog because he howls uncontrollably and my neighbors called the police while I was at work. If there is a way of breaking the howling I would love to know because the older dog I have sleeps in her crate at night already.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
You have to slowly condition the puppy to the crate....by putting him in for short periods of time and making the crate "fun":)..how long are you away form the home?....what do you do for potty training?

sorry about the Kingfish mix up I thought you were calling one dog a Kingfish Pit bull and the other a APBT like they were two different things....LOL:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am usually gone from 8-10 hours a day but usually come home for lunch and during commutes. I am home during weekends. Until I install my dog door I cannot do anything about the potty training, during the day while I am here the little one does go outside but has accidents as where the older dog holds it. I am usually able to come by my house every 4 hours or so to let them out.

I did purchace 2 7" Rawhide bones today to help curb the chewing, I came home to another chewed up lamp cord today. Is there something that could make the Dogzilla or Kongs more appealing? Rawhide bones last about 2-3 days and are pricy in my area around 4.50 each.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
You can fill/smear and then freeze (lasts longer) kongs with peanut butter, canned dog food, even ice cubes. I usually try some peanut butter, then a few pieces of kiblle, pb, kibble, seal the end with pb and freeze.

Also try running or playing hard with your dog before you leave. Your dog is bored and is just using excess energy in an unfortunate destructive pattern.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Patience and persistence he's just a puppy he'll get it eventually...

"sigh" it's become my mantra my 10 month old pup still drags my sofa cushions all over the house :eek:

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Do you have a neighbour or someone, a dogwalker perhaps that can come in and let the pup out for pees? Getting behind on your housebreaking is gonna be hell once you start it up again...this is really important to get a handle on. Waiting for adoggy door is not setting you or the puppy up to succeed..and he still needs to be taught to pee and poo outside..if he's already been practicing the pee/poo inside for months you are in for some potty training hell.

If he's three months old he should be able to be crated without needing to go for atleast three hours, possibly four. If he's free in the house he will NOT learn how to "hold it" and will continue to chew. I guarantee it. He can be crated with a kong with his breakfast in it, some cream cheese, yogurt, bacon bits, peanut butter (prep a bunch of them and keep them in the freezer until you need them). Crate him whenever you cannot be actively supervising him. This is key to housetraining success and his own safety. Many a dog has been electrocuted by chewed power cords or required surgery for eating the remote, the cellphone, pieces of furniture etc.

For the howling..you need to desensitize him to the crate. Maybe put it in your bedroom at night, put a dirty tshirt of yours in it, cover it with a sheet or something and invest in a DAP spray or diffuser to reduce the stress he feels in the crate. Practice for short periods, making sure he always has a goodie, while you are home. If you cannot crate him at first for long periods due to the howling, can you dogproof a room or use an xpen for the chewing issues? He needs to be confined somehow. With time the howling will diminish..check out "Crate Games"...to help desensitize him to the crate.

Rawhides are not meant to be unsupervised chew toys, dogs, especially big chewers, tear off chunks and swallow them and since rawhide is NOT digestible, a blockage is a real risk.

And really, you should NOT leave him and your adult dog alone together. Adults may give puppy some leeway in the beginning but that only lasts until around 4 1/2 months and then they start giving them hell. It's not fair to your pup OR your adult to have this situation continue. I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, but problems occur because people assume they just won't happen..until it does and then you've got bigger problems to deal with.

Okay, sorry about the lecture. It's not meant to be mean or anything. I just see so many dogs not properly trained due to "people" problems that end up in rescue..and they pay for the lackadaisical training with their lives after bouncing from home to home due to training issues that should never have been there in the firstplace.

*steps off her soapbox*

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rawhides are not meant to be unsupervised chew toys, dogs, especially big chewers, tear off chunks and swallow them and since rawhide is NOT digestible, a blockage is a real risk.
Okay did not know that about the rawhide, my grandma has left her dogs with rawhide chips for years and nothing ever happened, just assumed that nothing ever could. So what would be a great tasty toy like that, the kong is still not going well, I have a dog that does not like peanut butter. I am very much set on not giving my dogs dairy as I don't eat it myself so the cream cheese is out of the question and also larger terriers by experience usually have gas, my adult has been treated with tums for about six months, the bloating was really slowing her down.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
You can try plain yogurt ...try freezing it and mixing it with some dry kibble...my dogs love it:)

if your not going to crate it sounds like you need to puppy prof the room you are going to keep puppy in which means removing everything basically just leaving 4 walls ...no furniture, cords, rugs ........but even then they can still chew carpet, walls, cabinets..etc

The main problem here is a bored unsupervised puppy...chewing is pretty self rewarding so its going to be hard to get him to give up something that is so fun...when your not there to stop it and redirect him to something else

how do you keep the two dogs separate during the day when no one is home?

I belong to another board that is for bully breeds...I think you would really benefit from joining....I have learned so much about the breed and how to be a better owner of a bully breed from it....

I can PM you the site if you are interested...:)

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Okay...*puts her thinking cap on*.
Beef chews are good and digestible for occasional use in training the "crate is a good place" but they don't last long so cost could be a factor, you could buy a puzzle ball and fill it with her meal/kibble, pack the kong with kibble soaked in low sodium chicken broth and frozen.

You can still use the rawhide chips, also pressed rawhide bones are harder to tear chunks off, you can use these when you are AROUND to check on the condition of the rawhides and remove them if necessary. I understand the dairy issue, and certainly you wouldn't have to stuff the entire kong with cream cheese...I often put kibble/liver bits etc in the kong and then just "plug" it with cheese and freeze. The whole idea of the food is to teach her to enjoy licking and chewing the kong itselfs..so it doesnt' HAVE to be a lot of anything. Puzzle balls are different though, I would put her entire meal kibble in it to keep her busy in her crate.

Your pup needs to chew, so just do some thinking about things she may like that are not dangerous to eat and use the kongs and puzzle balls as the delivery mechanism.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how do you keep the two dogs separate during the day when no one is home?
I don't, when I did my adult dog stopped eating, that is why I got another dog was because my adult dog stopped eating and drinking, and it got to the point where she was so dehydrated that she stopped going to the bathroom and I had to give her chicken broth to get water in her.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Hmmm. Thinking cap again.

Is it possible that it is not the puppy that is doing the destruction? Are you ABSOLUTELY sure it is her?

The reason I ask is, if your other dog was showing signs of depression or anxiety (not eating and drinking) prior to the puppy arriving it may be possible that the chewing has become her outlet for stress. Adding another dog to a dog with SA or other anxiety based issues CAN exacerbate the behaviours, when you think it may stop them. Your older dog doesn't have to dislike the puppy to be stressed out by her.

Just a thought, is there anyway you can set up a web cam or something to be SURE how, when and who the damage is coming from?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm. Thinking cap again.
Just a thought, is there anyway you can set up a web cam or something to be SURE how, when and who the damage is coming from?
I know who is doing the destruction because of the size of the teeth marks left in certain things, such as plastic bowls and such, and everytime I turn around the puppy is chewing on something or another. My adult is also having some issues, most likely related to age. I noticed it today, that she is starting to growl at certain people and getting a temper towards certain people. A friend told me that with age their brain gets a pressure on them and I can't find anything to support that. I have had more than one dog lose trust in people in old age but my adult is 5 years old and that would be too early.

I have been out all weekend offroading, I noticed that the puppy doesn't chew when we are in a moving vehicle, I am thinking that his chewing is from boredom. Any fun toys other than a kong, rope, or stuffed animal? Something that doesnt require human interaction?

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
There are some really good puzzle toys out there, some built for heavy chewers, you may have to check on line for availability. I find the "Genius" Line of toys good, the "Tug a Jug" and the Nina Olsson (sp?) line of toys can be good too.

As for your adult dog. Five years is not "aged" and the reason you can't find information on the brain thing your friend mentioned is because it doesn't exist. There is a very good chance your older dog is ill, behaviour changes in a previously well adjusted adult are almost always caused by physical issues and secondly by stress or environment. You mentioned that she for a time wasn't eating or drinking and now she is having fear aggressive behaviours. I would take her to the vet, have her tested for pain, subclinical thyroid disorder and other blood tests to see if something is "off". Senior dogs (and I mean SENIOR, like 10 and up) can develop canine cognitive disorder, which is like doggy alzheimers but the usual signs are confusion and loss of housebreaking, not sudden onset fear or aggression.

I think if she is in discomfort that she may need the puppy to be separated from her as well when you cannot be there.
Please, for her sake and that of the puppy's, find out what is wrong with your older dog. This could very quickly esclate to an issue between the dogs...and the puppy would not do well.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I have never heard of the brain of a pit bull swelling with age?....I have herd that about dobermans but that is a old wives tail

Have you had your older dog seen by a vet?.....its not normal for them to stop eating a drinking so drastically like that :eek:

I'm sure your not going to like hearing this but you need to make sure they are separated when you are not there ....you can ask any responsible bully owner and they will tell you....better safe then sorry....never trust a Pit Bull not to fight..

it may never ever happen between your dogs...but you can never be sure...especially if you are leaving toys and other items out during the day that could at some point cause a tiff

I'm sure the puppy is chewing out of boredom...and because he can....no one is there to stop him

I agree with cracker...there are a bunch of puzzle toys out that might be fun for him.....also you can try a http://www.goughnuts.com/...I here from my pit bull forum that they are wonderful...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts