Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted here before about my dog chewing the molding and such. But he has started, or at least found one spot, of flat wall to chew. I mean really, how does one dog eat a flat wall. Here is the quick background. 9 month old Anatolian Shepard/Great Pyrenees Mix. He doesn't chew anything inside. There are three days a week where we leave him out on the porch that has a doggie door to an outside fenced area. This porch has AC and everything. Nothing else since he chews everything. He only chews when we're not there. There is another dog, 2 1/2 Bernese Mountain Dog that doesn't do anything. We have tried all the new toys, blocks of ice with treats. Pens have been suggested in corner off a small area in the porch. I don't want to crate him for 10 hours on those days we're not there.

So the question is, does anyone have any ideas on training. How can we train him to stop when he only does it when we're not there. Any training ideas would be great!

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think you need to train while you are home. I would try video, concentrating (at first) on monitoring when you are home. Technology available today in the form of home security is amazing. Each bad chewing episode could be met with the alarm, and then be gently corrected, and replaced with a positive activity, such as a chew toy. After a while of in person alarms and corrections, the alarm alone (remotely) should be sufficiant. I also think your dog is bored. I would also play soft classical music. The chewing stage is not likely to last forever. Hang in there!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'd just crate him or somehow cut him off from where he chews. This stage does usually end, though. My old dog chewed all the molding off the kitchen in a single afternoon once. Then he destroyed 2 dining room chairs and the dining room table. After that, I worried a lot less about his having room to move around while I was gone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts