Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first time puppy owner so I have been learning as I go. I have a 14 week old great pyranese/yellow lab cross. Generally speaking she is doing very well, she obeys sit, lay down and come 75% of the time now. Housetraining has not been going as well partially due to myself (I run a home daycare so I can't keep her attached to me so sometimes I miss her cues) and partially due to her having loose stools a large amount of the time (I am discussing this with the vet this week when we go in for her second shots). She is well loved in town and the only place that we don't bring her is the grocery store. Even the library let's us bring her in as she is very well behaved. (bonus to small town living). SHe has a "best friend" in the dog next door and the 2 get play time several times a week together. SHe plays with the cats that wander into our yard, or outright ignores them. Loves attention from everyone and she gets it alright.

Anyway, my question is related to her chewing the leash. As expected she loves to chew. She has a toy box filled with stuff that she loves, I buy her chews like pigs ears and bully sticks often. She eats everything in sight, and we are addressing that, more from the kids side than the dog's (it is them leaving toys etc out where she will find and chew them). The leash is a different issue. SHe likes to think she is taking us for a walk so she will bite the leash and try to lead. We are working on heel and making her mind her place in the pack. We do not have a fenced yard so to go out for potty she has to be on the leash, Occasionally I have to secure the leash to something in the yard and dash back inside or to help one of my daycare kids. SHe has started chewing the leash so much that she is chewing through it. I had intended to get a thicker leash anyway as she grew since she is going to be so big, but don't want her doing this since obviously there is times she will need to be secured outside of where we are and I can't risk her chewing through her leash. Nor do I want her trying to walk us.

So how do you train them not to do that?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
We used to just dip the leash (keep the handle clean) in soapy water, and then sprinkle some cayenne pepper on it. Only takes one or two times for them to figure out not to chew the leash. Also lupine leads have a lifetime guarantee even if chewed, and they're good quality.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We used to just dip the leash (keep the handle clean) in soapy water, and then sprinkle some cayenne pepper on it. Only takes one or two times for them to figure out not to chew the leash. Also lupine leads have a lifetime guarantee even if chewed, and they're good quality.
I will look for that kind of leash next time I get to the city. Question about using soapy water. My pup gets loose stools often, I finally got the right mix for her food to firm her up. Will using soapy water trigger further diarrhea? I know that if my dishes weren't properly rinsed it wuld lead to us getting the runs, does it affect dogs the same way?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts