Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help! My 9 month old poodle is in the chewing stage! She has chewed one of my base boards, the rockers on my rocking chairs and much more. I am about to go crazy. Does anyone have any pointers what I can do or how I can break her of it? Thanks!:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would do the same, I would say to give it a chew-toy, and every time she chews something else, scold her and show her the toy instead.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Are you staying on top of NILF? What are you doing to keep the dog mentally, physically, and socially healthy? Work in these areas could help to reduce the destructive behavior. And you'll also need to safe proof your home, and consider bitter apple until you've resolved what your dog is missing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Are you staying on top of NILF? What are you doing to keep the dog mentally, physically, and socially healthy? Work in these areas could help to reduce the destructive behavior. And you'll also need to safe proof your home, and consider bitter apple until you've resolved what your dog is missing.
EXCELLENT advice! A tired puppy will be less likely to chew. He needs mental, physical and social stimulation. If he has all these he will be less likely be bored and the chewing stage should at least slow down if not eliminated. Another thing - ALWAYS supervise your puppy to make sure she stops chewing on inappropriate items. If you catch her chewing, redirect her attention to something she CAN chew on and praise her for doing so. Eventually she'll catch on. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I would also confine your puppy to a crate or an exercise pen while he's not being supervised. If you prevent the behavior, it helps him forget about it... out of sight, out of mind... and it will keep it from becoming a habit. >^^;<

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to thank everyone for there advice. She does have she chews on, but I guess they are satisfying her. I bought her some chew sticks last night, and she likes them. I plan on getting her some more things like bones and raw hide to chew on too. She does stay in her cage when I cannot watch her. This puppy thing is new to me, so all the advice I can get is helpful. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Oh, I forgot about something! You can tether your puppy to you when you're at home (leash her and loop the leash over an arm or something) if she runs off and chews on things. That way, she won't be out of your sight and you can correct the chewing behavior appropriately. >^_^<

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, I will have to try that too. One other question..What is this thing about the sour apples? OR the green apples? I have read about people telling others to try it. I am not sure what they are talking about.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts