Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have 2 dogs, a 4 year old male Yorkie and 3 1/2 year old female Jack Russel. Both of them are pretty well behaved, but our Jack Russel has a chewing issue that we just don't know how to fix.

After getting over the puppy years of chewing everything seemed to be fine. However, she eventually started chewing anything that she would happen to find laying around. So we started making sure there were no kids toys laying around, and that we always had her chew toys out. Well it eventually got worse with her actually going to the TV stand and taking DVD's and Wii games off of there and chewing them up. Now anytime we would catch her, she would immediately pin her ears back and go try to hide with whatever she had and chew it as quick as possible.

The worst part is she knows she will be in trouble, but continues to do it. I have come home to the chewed up DVD cases and when I pick them up, not even raising me voice at her, she pins her ears back and goes and hides. Just today my wife caught her chewing up a toothbrush so she took it from her and scolded her. (She actually got on the edge of the tub, and got the toothbrush from the sink) So my wife went to take the trash out and when she came back Daisy had the toothbrush in her mouth again, immediately dropped it and went to hide.

We don't know what to do anymore. It seems like she knows what she is and isn't allowed to chew, but if she finds something that is tempting she just can't help herself. She knows if she gets caught she gets scolded, but it just doesn't seem to faze her.

Any suggestions would help!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
For her own safety, she should not be allowed the freedom to do these things. Either crate her or confine when you can't supervise.

As for the chewing itself....sometimes it's as simple as teeth or gum issues. The dog tries to fix the mouth problem by chewing on everything he can find. Another common issue is that chewing is a big stress reliever so they chew to mellow out. Another problem is boredom/lack of exercise and the dog found an activity (chewing) to entertain themselves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts