Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I just adopted a sweet, one year old Italian Greyhound / Shepherd mix named Lucy. We've had her for a few weeks and didn't think that chewing would be an issue since we learned very quickly with our other dog Oscar not to leave anything around for them to chew.

Two weeks ago we came home from work to find that she had jumped up on the back of the couch and demolished our front wood blinds and even chewed through a few of the back wood blinds as well. Needless to say we weren't happy, so we now crate her when we are not at home.

Today my wife came home and she had completely demolished the comfort padding that we put on the bottom of her crate to make it more comfortable for her, so she is even chewing things in her crate now. She has toys, she has bones, but she still chews on things she shouldn't and it's hard to break the habit if she does it when we are not around.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do to help stop her chewing?

Also, she does not particularly like her crate. Our other dog Oscar is crate trained and took an instant liking to his, but she is extremely difficult. How can we get her to actually like being in her crate?

Thanks in advance! :wave:

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
It sounds more like anxiety than simple chewing. If it was just chewing, she would do it in front of you too. If it's only happening when you are gone, I would suspect anxiety.

Confining when you are gone is the right call. Perhaps she can't handle bedding right now. Give her a good bone or a stuffed, frozen kong and keep your comings and goings matter-of-fact. You could put a cattle mat in the crate to make it a little more comfortable. She isn't likely going to be able to do any damage to that. Heavily increasing physical exercise and mental stimulation is likely to help even more.

Hang in there. New dogs go through phases as they adjust to their new lives. This sounds pretty normal. It isn't unusual for a dog to challenge the crate for a while. Almost all of them will accept it as long as you don't let them out when they are going ballistic and they don't figure out how to escape.

9 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EuY98sRPb8&list=LLmC96B2D6EgRDbxtryMqY7Q&feature=mh_lolz

Have a look at this to see how to teach her to chew a Kong. All her food should be fed like this for a while at least.

John
There is to be No SPAMMING on the Board. Please don't post links to your site, either in your signature or in the body of the post, without permission of the Forum Administrator. They will be deleted, and you will be banned. Do not create a user name that is a redirect to another site (e.g. spam.com), or you will be banned.

Only Site Sponsors will be allowed to have Business links in thier signatures, all other business links will be considered and treated as spam.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am glad someone else started this thread about chewing. Lately, Carter has had more out of crate time and seems to be following directions well. He loves to chew. In crate or out, he will chew on anything in his path.....he even chews on the steel bars of his crate. When he goes out for his walks he tries to chew sticks, leaves, cig butts, anything. He is still so young so I suspect he wants to chew to work his teeth, but it really is his one behavior that I can't seem to break. He has soft toys that are well constructed and has his dentabone that he will chew on pretty regularly. I mentioned it to his vet, but vet did not seem concered just told me to make sure he is monitored and he will be fine.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Feed her meals in the crate. All other good things such as stuffed kongs, bones, bully sticks, etc. should be given to her while she is in the crate. This will help form a positive association with being crated.

Don't leave bedding for her. DO leave stuffed kongs or interactive toys for her every time you leave the house.

My 8yr old dog is similarly destructive. She recently pulled the comforter in through the bars of her crate to chew it up. She has shredded a bag of treats that was left on top of the crate only to completely ignore the treats! I came home to a dog surrounded by uneaten cookies... Her destruction rap sheet is a lengthy and expensive one. I've just come to the conclusion that she will always be crated when I'm gone. I keep everything as far away from the crate as I can(kind of difficult in a small house). She always gets some kind of kong or bone to entertain herself if she chooses to do so. Sometimes, all you can do is manage the situation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Feed her meals in the crate. All other good things such as stuffed kongs, bones, bully sticks, etc. should be given to her while she is in the crate. This will help form a positive association with being crated.

Don't leave bedding for her. DO leave stuffed kongs or interactive toys for her every time you leave the house.

My 8yr old dog is similarly destructive. She recently pulled the comforter in through the bars of her crate to chew it up. She has shredded a bag of treats that was left on top of the crate only to completely ignore the treats! I came home to a dog surrounded by uneaten cookies... Her destruction rap sheet is a lengthy and expensive one. I've just come to the conclusion that she will always be crated when I'm gone. I keep everything as far away from the crate as I can(kind of difficult in a small house). She always gets some kind of kong or bone to entertain herself if she chooses to do so. Sometimes, all you can do is manage the situation.

Hmm... if your 8 year old dog is still chewing, guess sometimes they might not grow out of it. I work far enough away that when I crate him mon thru fri we will just make the best of it til I retire in about 15 more years! My dog is relaxed and not anxious being in his crate..just wants to constantly chew SOMETHING.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts