Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My collie/lab puppy will walk wonderfully, sit etc outdoors so long as there are no distractions. He does however have a fondness for chewing his lead, attacking it and starting a tug of war which i of course ignore until he drops the lead. How do i stop this? He is also distracted mostly by people and other dogs then i'm virtually none existant even with tasty chicken his fav in my hand. Walks is the one area of training i'm least clear on and could use some advice.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You might have to start slower in a more controlled environment, having people you know work with you to be the distraction.

Teach him to "focus" or "watch me" in the house with no distractions, then gradually add slight distractions, working up to someone with a dog on a leash far away and then moving closer, working on his focus at all intervals. If, at any time, he loses the ability to focus on you, that means you're moving too fast.

As far as tugging on his leash, I take it you're holding the other end of the lead? If so, then he's getting his reward because whether you're actively tugging or not, you're resisting. And he gets the satisfaction of the tug. Try giving him a valued toy to carry in his mouth and work on rewarding him while you move the leash close to his face and he resists. I would never allow a biting or tugging habit to get started, but now that it is, you must find a way to either make it unpleasant (Bitter apple on the leash?) or to correct him (anything from "ah-ah" when he FIRST starts to take the leash in his mouth to telling him "no") or to make something else more attractive to him.

You might try a harness (with a clip on the back) instead of a collar for walks. That would put the leash out of his reach.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My puppy does the same thing. she attacks the retractable leash. Its funny though. I guess she thinks its some sort of long skinny monster and she's Xena Warrior princess dog. LOL. But little by little she has learned to leave it alone. For nooooow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts