Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 yr old Redbone Coonhound / Boxer (we think) mix. She has lots of chew toys (nylon based) and we also have been buying her rawhides w/ beef flavoring on them from ipets.com. However she won't chew the nylon toys for any more than 10-20 min and give it up. Are there any kinds of sprays that I can buy to spray on the nylon toys to entice her? She is a bit neglected by our 14mo child.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
First, I would stop giving her rawhides altogether. They are a chocking/blockage hazard.

I don't know if there is a spay that will work, the dog would just lick it off and be bored again.

Our dogs really love the Benebones. They come in different shapes and flavours (the wishbone, bacon flavour is our dog's favourite). https://www.benebone.com/products/

You could also try a real deer or elk antler, but only if your dog does not try to eat it. Some people have said their dogs chipped teeth on antlers because they're too hard. Personally ours chew on antlers all the time and we haven't had any issues, but our dogs are just chewing, they're not trying to break it up and eat it.

Also if your dog is bored, try putting in some extra effort to giver her some one-on-one time. Or hire a dog walker, or consider daycare.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Hard nylon is not a popular chew texture for many dogs. It can also get kind of sharp little edges that cut their gums (probably a reason they dislike it!)

Rawhides aren't safe. Plus most are dubiously processed in China.

Try a durable rubber toy like the Classic Kong which you can put some peanut butter or canned dog food into.
Zogoflex toys by West Paw are another high quality brand of rubber chews and fetch toys.

Try using feeding time for training some tricks to help tire the mins. Like shake, lay down, turn in a circle etc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will switch to something else after we go through all of these. We carefully monitor her while she chews on them. I'll look for the extra large nylabones or something else. She just goes through them sooooo quickly. The nylon chew toys are from Bullymake. Its hard to put peanutbutter in a kong and not have it get in the carpet where she usually sits and sleeps. We do some tricks at dinner time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts