Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new puppy, 14 weeks, and he has plenty of toys, but he keeps going for my Crocs that I keep by the door to take him out. I of course don't want him chewing on those but does anyone know a good alternative that has the same texture?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Kong has a Squeez stick in several sizes that would probably feel at least similar. I got mine at Academy (cheaper there than the pets store), but Petsmart/Petco type stores carry them as well. I would go pick at some toys if I were you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will check it out. He is our first dog so we bought him all kinds of toys, so he's def not lacking in the toy dept, but he always seems to like my shoe the best! No surprise.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Westpaw brand Zogoflex would be my suggestion, they are guaranteed so if the pup tears it up, you can get your money back. I did have to return one but my female dog is a major power cheer and she did love it a lot before ripping it up.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Dogs like to chew shoes because they smell like YOU. Maybe stick a toy under your shirt or in your bed or something :p.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Dogs like to chew shoes because they smell like YOU. Maybe stick a toy under your shirt or in your bed or something :p.
I thought it was because like a baby, their teeth hurt and chewing helps it feel better?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I thought it was because like a baby, their teeth hurt and chewing helps it feel better?
Well, sure, that's why puppies chew in general, but the main reason they like shoes, besides the fact that shoes are usually leather, is that shoes smell like their human.

·
Registered
693 Posts
How about worn out giving your worn out crocs to the dog and putting the active pair(s) on a shelf somewhere?
Because thats not a safe toy for them to chew on. They can swallow parts and could die.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I've always heard that you don't want to let a dog chew on real shoes or even toys that look like shoes because then your dog might chew on your real shoes. How is the dog to know the difference between the old, cheap pair you don't want anymore, and the new, expensive pair you are really attached to?

You can try coating your shoes with a bitter apple spray or other such taste deterrent. How old is your puppy? He'll probably learn not to chew your shoes soon.
A lot of the things you hear, especially about dogs, are not true. Dogs are quite capable of learning what items are "theirs" and what are not theirs. Apart from smell, I'm not sure that a dog sees a fundamental difference between a shoe and, say, a kong. Put it in the washing machine with some smelly soap and it won't come across as smelling like the owner's foot. I'm a mediocre dog trainer, but it's been no effort to teach my crew that my old shoes are available for chewing, while my active, newer shoes are no-go. And I'm irked by pressure to buy, buy, buy toys and a bunch of other crap for my dogs, when they are just as happy playing with and chewing up stuff that was on the way to the dump.

·
Registered
693 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
It is still not safe.
In your opinion . . .you offer zero evidence. I can offer anecdotal evidence . . . which merits skepticism. You offer nothing.
I'd much rather see a dog chew on a croc than a commercial stuffed toy with a squeeker!

Crocs have a tough spongyness that seems to be very good for a teething pup . . . more attractive than the denser rubber of a kong. It's pretty hard to tear them, and most of the damage comes in pulling off small pieces (less than 1/2") which will pass easily when swallowed and present no hard edges that might puncture internal works.

·
Registered
693 Posts
In your opinion . . .you offer zero evidence. I can offer anecdotal evidence . . . which merits skepticism. You offer nothing.
I'd much rather see a dog chew on a croc than a commercial stuffed toy with a squeeker!

Crocs have a tough spongyness that seems to be very good for a teething pup . . . more attractive than the denser rubber of a kong. It's pretty hard to tear them, and most of the damage comes in pulling off small pieces (less than 1/2") which will pass easily when swallowed and present no hard edges that might puncture internal works.
Wow, who peed in your cheerios?? Youre telling someone that its ok to give their dogs a shoe! Im pointing out how its not safe. Shoes are made for human feet, not dogs to chew on.

Its not safe for several reasons- ITS SHOES. Shoes with dirt, poop, pee, spit, blood, germs, gas, water, food...general crap on them. Plus they are not made out of digestible or good materials. A Shoe string wrapping around something inside, Leather blocking their air way, etc.. Theres debate rawhide bones arent safe, why would you give your dog a shoe?!

so no, I wont sit here and give you articles and a dr degree to show you how dangerous it is. If YOU want to do it fine, but dont tell others its ok!

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Wow, who peed in your cheerios?? Youre telling someone that its ok to give their dogs a shoe! Im pointing out how its not safe. Shoes are made for human feet, not dogs to chew on.

Its not safe for several reasons- ITS SHOES. Shoes with dirt, poop, pee, spit, blood, germs, gas, water, food...general crap on them. Plus they are not made out of digestible or good materials. A Shoe string wrapping around something inside, Leather blocking their air way, etc.. Theres debate rawhide bones arent safe, why would you give your dog a shoe?!

so no, I wont sit here and give you articles and a dr degree to show you how dangerous it is. If YOU want to do it fine, but dont tell others its ok!
While I wouldn't give a dog a Croc to chew one, mainly because I do happen to think it can be harder for them to distinguish between old and OK to chew Crocs vs new and not OK to chew Crocs than it is between a different shaped dog chew toy and a Croc shoe, I don't think the risk is all that much greater than with many commercial chew toys.

For one, Crocs don't have laces. Laces are dangerous, like rope toys or anything that shreds, can be if ingested. I was lucky that when my dog decided to eat all my shoe laces (after chewing nothing inappropriate for several years!) that everything passed through fine.

Cross aren't leather, they are basically chew toy material anyways

Dirt, poop, pee, blood, germs etc don't worry me for an adult vaccinated dog. It WOULD worry me for an unvaccinated pup but if you wear shoes in the house, you're tracking half that in anyways. My dogs eat grass, dirt, sticks, goose poop, cat poop if they can find it, squirrels if they are fast enough, they lick the floor, they eat raw chicken and beef, etc. Most contigens that humans worry about aren't a huge issue for dogs.

I'm not saying leave the Crocs for the dog to chew, I'm just saying be realistic about the risks of them and other chew toys. Always supervise and take items away if the dog is getting off chunks he could swallow

1 - 20 of 23 Posts