Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sasha is going through a terrible chewing phase. Besides walls, doors and trim, her chew toys of choice are wooden sticks. (She has at least half a dozen proper puppy chew toys with her at all times.) Last night I brought home a bully stick. It lasted a few hours. I can't afford to give her $5 worth of bully sticks every day. Is there a chew stick that has the texture of a branch and that will last a bit longer?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I find braided bully sticks are the best. I order them online for just over $1 each from bullysticks.ca. It's a Canadian site, though I'm sure you can find something similar for the USA if that's where you're from.

Other options:
Deer antlers (last forever, but my dogs don't like to chew them as they seem to be a little TOO hard)
Greenies (my dogs love these but they're expensive and don't last long)
Oven-dried sweet potato chews (I make these myself, so they're cheap, but they don't last long)
Rawhide (unhealthy)
Horse hoof trimmings (if you know a farrier)
Frozen, stuffed Kong (cheap, reusable, lasts a long time)
Dental Chews from the grocery store (can get expensive)
Nylabones (supposed to be great, but my dogs don't really go after them)
Himalayan Dog Chews (made of very hard cheese. Lasts for ages. Expensive)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in Canada. Thanks for the site info. I'm going to see if I can track down some antlers and horse hooves, too.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I find getting an antler, picking up some raw bones from your local butcher and ordering bully sticks in bulk online is the cheapest way to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts