Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a problem, I want to find some good, natural chews for Izze & Josefina but its hard since Izze has lost interest due to her age in nylabone type toys & I don't want something "too" hard like antlers due to her bad teeth (she is missing a few due to kicks by cattle as a younger dog) she likes the edible nylabones but they have wheat & such in them which she cant have.

Any suggestions.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not in a while but how long do thy last & how many can you give? I was suggested pork ribs but with the calcium content in their food could cause constipation. Do you recommend a brand?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Beef ribs.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Can they be given with (or after, actually) kibble? If so how many should she get?
Yep but I would leave a few hours in between.

I give one at a time. In the beginning you will have to take off a lot of the meat and just slowly leave a little but more on each time. I would give less kibble he day hey et them also. They usually replace a meal for mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How about chicken jerky? You can buy them or make them easily if you have a dehydrator. If you buy them though check where they are made and don't buy ones made in China.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Merrick sells a bag of assorted chews, might look at that. Tendons and bully sticks are great chews.

Stuffing a kong is always good, just a smear of cream cheese, peanut butter or even meaty baby food without onion would be yummy.

I do like the raw beef ribs. $2 a pound at the moment, $1 per rib and they last. Pork feet work too, the skin on them is super tough to get through.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I would suggest bully sticks, tendons, etc. If the bully sticks are too hard you can soak them in some water or low sodium broth. Frozen chicken/turkey necks are good too, but should have a minimum of 7 hours between feeding something with that much raw meat and kibble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts