Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am "window shopping" around for dogs that I might own in the near future. One of the breeds that has currently sparked my interested is the Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Reason being is that I love the fact that they are a retriever breed, but have the personality (as far as I read) that I like. I like that they are aloof with strangers and a bit more protective than say a Lab, or GR. Other qualities I look for in a dog are, loving, affectionate, funny, silly, and "chill". Obviously there is a time for everything and I don't expect them to be silly all the time, nor would I want them to, but dogs that aren't really considered "serious". That being said, you think a Chessie would fit the bill for what I'm looking for? Why or why not?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You havent really said much of what you want, although CBR aren't what I'd call chill.

How much exercise do you want to get with the dog? What type?
How much time can you devote to the dog?
Are you interested in dog sports?
What about grooming? How do feel about shedding?
Do you have kids/plan to have them?
What's your living situation like?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You havent really said much of what you want, although CBR aren't what I'd call chill.

How much exercise do you want to get with the dog? What type?
How much time can you devote to the dog?
Are you interested in dog sports?
What about grooming? How do feel about shedding?
Do you have kids/plan to have them?
What's your living situation like?
I'm going to be a freshman in college, so those questions aren't too easy to answer atm. I plan on perhaps going on jogs with the dog, than taking it occasionally to the park and tossing a ball around or something, other than regular walks.

I would devote as much time as I had.

I am not interested in dog sports.

I'd rather have a short haired dog for the idea that I'm not a big an of daily brushing, and from what I understand, Chessies aren't too bad in the long haired department?

I do plan on having kids within the next 10 years.

I'd probably live in a rented home with a average yard.

These are all estimations. I am not going to purchase a dog tomorrow, but with these are all answers based on what I plan for my future.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My limited experience with them is that they are VERY strong willed and need tons of exercise to be happy dogs. They also need a very confident leader that is kind and gentle and consistent. (much like most dogs). The only one I met was actually looking for a new home because his owner couldn't handle him (ie, wouldn't put the time/effort into owning a dog period).

Sounds like you're doing your research, which is great. If I were you, I would see if there is a Chessie rescue near you that you could go visit and maybe volunteer to see if they would truly be a good fit for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Regardless of breed I HIGHLY suggest waiting until your sophomore year. Freshman year is HARD. College is super different from high school, it's a different pace, they're new people and (generally) new freedoms that you need to get used to. You will have SO MUCH going on that it will be hard to juggle everything that gets thrown at you AND a dog (or worse, a puppy).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regardless of breed I HIGHLY suggest waiting until your sophomore year. Freshman year is HARD. College is super different from high school, it's a different pace, they're new people and (generally) new freedoms that you need to get used to. You will have SO MUCH going on that it will be hard to juggle everything that gets thrown at you AND a dog (or worse, a puppy).
appreciate the tip, and believe me, i don't plan on getting a dog freshman year, maybe not even sophomore.. i was just stating the fact that I'm going to be a freshman soon. only way i would get a dog is if I'm 100% sure i have the time for it. i can't be selfish.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Short haired dogs shed more, not less. That's how their hair stays short.

One thing to think about: people who devote as much time as they have (as opposed to making a certain amount of time) either have poorly behaved dogs or end up rehoming them. It's not how much time you have, it's how much the dog needs. If you don't make the commitment to make the time, it won't happen.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
appreciate the tip, and believe me, i don't plan on getting a dog freshman year, maybe not even sophomore.. i was just stating the fact that I'm going to be a freshman soon. only way i would get a dog is if I'm 100% sure i have the time for it. i can't be selfish.
Like your program and would add that a Chessie is a lot of dog for 1st time owner but you have your own youth, energy, etc to fall back on. Some experience added to the mix would help a bunch.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I wanted to add, I think it also depends on if you are going away to college, or staying home and doing the community college thing. I got Jackson at 18 on my winter break from freshmen year of college but I was still living at home. I had loads of time to work and train a dog... I got him on my winter break so was off for like 4 weeks and had those 4 weeks to spend training, bonding, etc, with him and it was awesome. In certain ways, I think a responsible college student can actually spend MORE time with a dog than a working adult who is married or has kids. Schedules tend to be more flexible and you're young and not tied down to anyone or anything. I wouldn't say that most 18 year olds would be ready for a dog and the commitment that comes with it... but if you are that kind of person, I think it works out fantastic. I'm not one to care about going out and partying much, never lived in a dorm, or have roommates besides my family, and so on... having a dog at this point in my life has been the best decision I ever made. A lot of my close friends went off to college and this gave me an extra responsibility, he's like my best little friend and companion, and also has given me lots of new "dog" friends that I never would have found without having a dog.

But I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't completely turn your life around... you no longer can just go out to dinner after class, you have a living being waiting on you for love, training, food, etc. I plan my class schedule around him so I can leave him at my dads house while I'm away for long periods of time. I can't just go away without second thought. And lots of people simply don't understand WHY... "it's just a dog" is a lot of peoples mindset, or they think your family can just take care of it. But this dog is my life, my responsibility, and to be honest I don't LIKE to leave him, and I ENJOY being with him, and I think some people don't understand that at this age. I'm 21 now, and I think it's really cool to have a dog that is going to go through so many life changes with me... he's already been there through thick and thin for me, and God forbid, let's hope he's around at least another 10 years and I'll be 31. Who knows where my life will take me... but I know he'll be a part of it, whatever that may be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts