Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to treat my yard for fleas, but I don't want a bunch of chemicals sprayed everywhere for my dog to breathe, walk in, or play in. Does anyone know of an effective, safe flea treatment for the yard? I use Ivermectin for fleas, and it is very effective, but it only works AFTER the flea has bitten the dog. the dog still suffers from the flea bite. I also have him on garlic, which makes the fleas stay away in the first place, but I just want to be sure.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Fleas can't survive in sunlight or on well watered yards so managing the shady areas is the only thing you have to tackle. There are several insectides available that are safe but, I would still not allow the dog in the treated area for a couple of days.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, Ivermectin is a chemical, but it is harmless in small doses. (I'm talking about the chemicals that, if you look on the label, it says something to the effect of: CAUTION! Dangers to Humans and Domestic Animals! Avoid contact with eyes, mouth, nose, skin, or clothing. If contact occurs, remove contaminated clothing and call a physician or poison control center immediately!) BTW, Frontline is a harmful chemical. Look up the ingredients and ask yourself if you would like to have that applied to your skin to be absorbed by your body.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Ivermectin is a chemical. I use Frontline myself, but again, that's a chemical. Why the opposition to chemicals?
Some of us prefer to keep exposure to poisons as low as possible. I live in FL, where fleas are present all year long, and mosquitos are a problem, too. HeartGuard is a must, but I rarely use topical flea treatments, and never use toxic chemicals in the house or the yard.

I want to treat my yard for fleas, but I don't want a bunch of chemicals sprayed everywhere for my dog to breathe, walk in, or play in. Does anyone know of an effective, safe flea treatment for the yard?
Flea Control Nematodes help control fleas in the outdoor areas your pets frequent most—so they’re less likely to become infested with fleas and bring them inside.

These beneficial nematodes control fleas by killing them in the larval and pupal stages in the soil where they live, breaking the lifecycle so your pets are less likely to become infested. Follow the simple extracting and dilution instructions—then apply the nematodes to your lawn with a handheld sprayer, hose end sprayer or watering can. They’re nontoxic and can be used around children and pets. You can spray them in your flower and vegetable gardens, too. Five million nematodes cover 300 sq. ft. Nematodes must be applied when soil temperatures are 55-85°F.
http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=2779&sid=100308&eid=

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Adding food grade DE to your yard, in carpets, dog beds can help a lot with flea control. Its important to use the food grade DE and not the pool stuff, if the dogs ingest the pool stuff it can be toxic, the food stuff is safe. Sprinkle the DE in dry areas of the yard and use the nematodes in moist areas.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/no_flea.html

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
shorter grass should also reduces insects.

I don't know much about pesticides but I've heard garlic has a toxin that is bad for dogs, same as onions.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Garlic does have that toxin, but there is so very little you would have to feed it in massive quantities for it to hurt them. However, garlic is very beneficial. It repels fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes. It kills all internal worms except heartworm. It is antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal. It boosts the immune system. The garlic scents the blood (only parasites can smell it) and the fleas don't even come near. I'm not worried about that in my dogs. Sometimes we will board a dog who is on a chemical flea treatment. these chemical treatments only work if the flea bites the dog. Why do they sell that stuff? It is poisoning the dog!

·
Registered
192 Posts
the garlic sounds promising. what form do you purchase it in and how do you give it to your dog? i have a 6 month old cocker and the skeeters are terrible here this summer.

i have her on revolution but i have found a couple of fleas on her. i killed them with a cotton ball dipped in alcohol.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You can give it fresh, (make sure to chop it up!) (1 to 1 1/2 medium cloves for medium dogs such as Cocker Spaniels), or you can buy the minced kind in a jar. The minced kind is generally a lot cheaper and just as effective. At 6 months, I would probably give 1 clove or 1/2 tsp of minced garlic, increasing it to 1 1/2 cloves or 3/4 tsp when she is an adult. Don't use the odorless garlic pills for people, as although they still have the antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and heart-strengthening properties, it will not work for parasites or worms. I put it in my dog's food. I usually feed a little of the food with garlic first, and then the rest plain. This gets rid of garlic breath. All dogs love the taste of garlic, so unless she is REALLY picky, you should not have any trouble getting her to eat it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
she eats anything that she can get her little lips on. very food driven. shouldn't be a problem getting her to eat it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts