Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs do not have fleas right now but it is a battle to control them with flea shampoos and sprays. What is a good way to control them cheaply and effectively? I have heard garlic can help with fleas (and worms) but I have also heard it is toxic to dogs. I would rather use a natural way instead of pumping them with chemicals. If a dog has fleas is there really a high chance they have worms because they have not been checked for worms in a while but I have read online that worms generally appear back in the dog soon after they are "de-wormed" anyway. What is a good way to control fleas and preferably help with worms? (I have no evidence that my dogs have worms but would like to treat them for it just in case)

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Dogs get tapeworms from essentially eating infected fleas. If a dog has fleas, they may bite at the areas because of the itching and can then ingest those fleas. So it's a much higher chance than dogs without fleas certainly. If your dog has tapeworms, they'll likely show up as small white "rice" or worms in the stool eventually and can also accompanied by scooting.

Afaik, garlic make the blood "taste/smell bad" so it repels bugs in that sense. It doesn't kill anything and yes is supposedly toxic in larger quantities. I don't know much about pricing on flea and tick preventives since I've never had to use any. I don't know if natural equivalents are any better for the dog or any cheaper, insecticides are insecticides....

·
Registered
500 Posts
Vinegar baths, regular brushing with a metal flea comb, diatomaceous earth outside (dunno about inside), and constant vacuuming. I don't think that'll get rid of worms, but it will help with the fleas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i like the PowerBand flea collar from Vetkem.
you can most likely get it at your vet. it is an $11 collar that claims to last up to 4 months, however i switch mine out every two months.
I have been seeing lots of dogs at work (i groom dogs) having these collars on and i have not seen fleas on them, or any of my current dogs since PowerBand came around.
Even with using the PowerBand i recommend that you do diatomaceous earth outside, and flea bomb or spray the house if you have carpets, if not sweep/mop/vacuum every day and wash all fabrics in hot water with a few drops of pure essential oil like citronella or eucalyptus.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I think it's cheaper to buy the high quality flea control topicals than deal with a flea infestation where you have to treat your house and repeat treat your dog etc... Frontline/Advantage(ix) circulates through the oils in the skin. It isn't absorbed into the blood stream, therefore it is not systemic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
in some areas frontline and advantage no longer work. im my area the only things that work are comfortis, powerband collars, and trifectis (spelling)

Always ask your vet what topical they recommend for your area. i know this might sound crazy but its true. frontline and advantage do not work here, but 45 minutes away people are still having luck with it

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Frontline and advantage isn't working here. Comfortis is, and although not cheap, its cheaper than frontline, flea baths, sprays, tapeworms treatments, and miserable dogs :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts