Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a WHILE since I have been here. Our Weimaraner, Ghost, turned 1 in July and he's an awesome dog. My early training with him (diligent, daily training!) paid off and he's amazing......however......there are two things that need to change.
The first is that he chases cars. Not always, but most of the time. We live on a dirt road, out in the country, and our road is NOT busy at all. However, when a car does go by....he takes off after it. He won't leave our property, his strong desire to be with us outweighs anything else for him including chasing animals, so he only chases cars a few feet...barking the whole time. I am worried he will get hit one day. Distraction will sometimes work....for example when I hear a car coming if I say "Ghost! Go get your Kong!!"....he will re-direct and go find his toy instead. I find he chases the cars mainly if I am in the house and it's just my girls out there with him....I don't know if it's a protection thing, or a prey thing....? How can I teach him to stop chasing cars?

The second thing is that he won't give up his toys. He wants to play, and I want to play with him.....but all I get is one throw and that's the end because he just won't bring it back to me. I have tried the "trade" method, but even the most delicious of treats won't get him to let go of his toy. It worked in the beginning, but now he knows I am going to take it, and he won't let go. He WANTS to play, and he follows me around with the toy in his mouth, waiting for me to try to get it from him......but I have no interest in doing that. Any ideas on how to get him to let go of his ball, Kong, etc...so we can actually play fetch??

·
Registered
766 Posts
It has been a WHILE since I have been here. Our Weimaraner, Ghost, turned 1 in July and he's an awesome dog. My early training with him (diligent, daily training!) paid off and he's amazing......however......there are two things that need to change.
The first is that he chases cars. Not always, but most of the time. We live on a dirt road, out in the country, and our road is NOT busy at all. However, when a car does go by....he takes off after it. He won't leave our property, his strong desire to be with us outweighs anything else for him including chasing animals, so he only chases cars a few feet...barking the whole time. I am worried he will get hit one day. Distraction will sometimes work....for example when I hear a car coming if I say "Ghost! Go get your Kong!!"....he will re-direct and go find his toy instead. I find he chases the cars mainly if I am in the house and it's just my girls out there with him....I don't know if it's a protection thing, or a prey thing....? How can I teach him to stop chasing cars?

My neighbors dog used to lie in wait in the ditch for cars and jump out and chase. Used to scare the bejesus out of me.
It was only a matter of time before the dog was hit. So, the neighbor went and bought a Super Soaker water gun.
He gave it to us. Twice a day, I would drive by and my passenger would spray the dog when it chased. We used
different vehicles every time and drove by at different hours. Took about 5-6 days. The dog no longer chases.
Not sure if this would work for you but it's worth trying anything if it can prevent an accident.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Your toy problem reminded me of this comic:

Lots of dogs have possession issues like that with toys. I'm trying to work out something similar with my own dog (though he takes them off a few feet and chews them, rather than following me around). What I've done for another dog is to just wait them out. If they come in with the toy, I stick my hand out to take it. First, the dog scoots off, either hoping I'll chase or just not wanting me to get it. But then they come back, and I stick my hand out again. When they finally put the toy in my hand and let me have it, I say "yes!" and make a big deal of immediately throwing it for them again.

If you have identical toys or toys of equal value, you can try the two ball game. Throw one toy, when he's running back throw the second one in the opposite direction. You can also wait for him to drop the first in order to get the second but he may not figure that out right away. It helps if the toys are squeaky so while he's running around with the first one you can squeak the other one and toss it around and make it look like so much more fun than the toy he has.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I used the two ball method with Kris. She would chase and retrieve the ball, bring it back and drop it but as soon as I reached for it, she would grab it up. What I did was throw the ball and when she would come back, I would wave the other ball at her and then throw it. She would drop the first ball and take after the thrown ball. It did not take long for her to realize that if she dropped the ball she got to go chase another one. I never did try and get the ball from her but I also do not play tug with her as she is just too strong and would just jerk it out of my hand.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
I recommend a bucket full of tennis balls and keep throwing them until the bucket is empty lol lol ...

on the car chasing, I have a solid boundary fence, also live out in the country. The other breeds I have a strong recall on them. Short lead go with them, but at the out command walk them into a arc for a turn around "Heel" return command back to the start. You can use a ball throw for direction and motivation , run with them and then introduce the stop and come back, then advance to a long line and let them go on their own while you stay put.

My neighbors BC started running off property through her barb wire fence to chase cars.. I saw him get into position when I was driving towards her property and just as he sprung when I was about to pass.. I slammed on the breaks just as he broke under the fencing and jumped out of the truck and scolded him in the exact words my neighbor used... lol lo llol it freaked him out so bad he never broke the fence line again.... "" what ever works" solid fencing is 100% the safest ..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!
I tried the 2 toy idea yesterday and it worked perfectly! I used his kong, and then a plush toy.......I threw his kong as far as I could and by the time he got back to me I was holding his plush toy. I'd say "drop the Kong", and he started doing just that so that I'd throw the plush for him. Problem solved!

As for running into the road, I guess he will HAVE to go on his rope when I can't be out there with him. I can easily distract him from chasing a car, but my girls tend to freak a little when they hear a car coming and say "NO GHOST!!!!! GHOST COME!!!! GHHHHOOOOOSSSSTTTT!!!!!". So that gets him all excited and makes him want to chase it even more. I've asked them to try to do what I do, and use a toy to distract him.....so they will do that now, but still in the frantic crazy voice... "GHOST!!!!! COME GET YOUR KONG!!!! GHOST!!!!!!"......he's not fooled and he chases the car anyway despite their efforts. He really hates the rope, he stands perfectly still.....and eventually he starts to shake. It's sad! Him getting hit would be more sad though.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts