Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang! I'm looking for suggestions for what to put on my dog's snout, to help it from getting too chapped in the dry climate in which I live. I have about 20 seconds of treatment time, twice a day, to apply an oil or cream to his chapped snout and I'm looking for suggestions! This would be right after I give him the "Eat!" command, when he's too occupied with eating his food to bother licking off whatever goop I've put on his snout.

I have tried coconut and olive oils, and vitamin E oil. Olive oil actually seems to work the best in minimizing the chapping, but nothing seems to heal it to the point where it's not bloody. I am afraid to put an antibiotic ointment on it, because he inevitably licks whatever I apply right off when he's done eating, and it just doesn't seem healthy for him to be eating antibiotic ointment twice a day.

Environmentally, I've tried a humidifier, but it was a joke. I'd have to get a whole-house system, methinks, to remedy the problem. I've moved his pad away from the fireplace to reduce the drying effect, and I try not to use my ceiling fans. (During the summer, ceiling fan on at night == scabby nose, ceiling fan off at night == no scabby nose, it's a direct correlation). When I take him down to more a humid clime for a couple of weeks, it heals right up, and then about 5 days after I get him back home it starts to crack and then bleed and finally scab over again.

Just curious if anyone has ideas. Here's a pic of the poor pup. Thanks!

bloodySnout.jpg

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I use Snout Soother (https://naturaldogcompany.com/product/snout-soother-tin/) for my dog that gets a chapped nose. I put it on her before she eats, like you do, but I also put it on a few more times when possible when it is chapped. I wipe some on and then hold her muzzle shut (gently, with my hands) for as long as she will let me or about 60 seconds, whichever comes first. I do something similar when cleaning her ears with a liquid solution to keep her from shaking it all out before it has a chance to saturate her ear canal. It took some wrangling and conditioning at first but she's now very compliant letting me hold her mouth closed for short periods of time while applying the ointment.

On my horse, for whatever reason anything with tea tree oil in it works the best when he gets a chapped/sunburned nose.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure what to put on his nose, but if you want to get a humidifier that will do the whole house I have this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Honeywell-QuietCare-Humidifier-Technology-HCM-6009/dp/B000G0LDRI/ref=asc_df_B000G0LDRI/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292937894358&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16694216030471683600&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1001926&hvtargid=pla-386507091111&psc=1 It does a really good job of increasing the humidity in the whole house (to the point we had to turn it down because of the condensation on the windows). Just don't let the name fool you - it's not that quiet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you want to get a humidifier that will do the whole house I have this one
Yeah, I'll have to look into a whole-house solution like that when I do a minor remodel this spring. The dumpy little CVS one I bought has to be refilled every single day, which got old really quickly!

I use Snout Soother (https://naturaldogcompany.com/product/snout-soother-tin/) for my dog that gets a chapped nose.
Thanks, I just ordered a tin of this, I'll see if it works!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Have your dog checked for discoid lupus. This is an autoimmune disease that can lead to chapped looking snout and can include depigmentation and cracking at the corners of the lips. Usually it gets worse as the dog ages.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I use Snout Soother (https://naturaldogcompany.com/product/snout-soother-tin/) for my dog that gets a chapped nose. I put it on her before she eats, like you do, but I also put it on a few more times when possible when it is chapped. I wipe some on and then hold her muzzle shut (gently, with my hands) for as long as she will let me or about 60 seconds, whichever comes first. I do something similar when cleaning her ears with a liquid solution to keep her from shaking it all out before it has a chance to saturate her ear canal. It took some wrangling and conditioning at first but she's now very compliant letting me hold her mouth closed for short periods of time while applying the ointment.

On my horse, for whatever reason anything with tea tree oil in it works the best when he gets a chapped/sunburned nose.
Tea Tree oil is toxic to dogs. Do not use Tea Tree oil on dogs.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts

Tea Tree oil is toxic to dogs. Do not use Tea Tree oil on dogs.
https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/tea-tree-oil/

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Yeah, I'll have to look into a whole-house solution like that when I do a minor remodel this spring. The dumpy little CVS one I bought has to be refilled every single day, which got old really quickly!
The one I sent you the link to does not need to be installed, it's just a console humidifier. I fill mine up around every 3 days or so, depending on how dry it is in the house. I used to have a small cool-mist humidifier in the bedroom, which had to be filled up like twice a day and yes, that's super annoying.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts