Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I feel like I am in a bit of a pickle here and need your opinions on what to do. To sum things up, I'm getting married in 3 months, my fiancee and I have both had to take pay cuts and money is pretty tight. We currently feed California Natural and pay $43 for a 30 lb bag. It lasts us about a month.

Now I care about my dog so much and want what is best for him, but my fiancee thinks we should change his food to something cheaper. I've seen 40 lb bags of Iams and Pedigree for only $33. $10 doesn't sound like a lot of savings, but any money helps, plus the food would last us longer because it is 10 lbs more.

I don't know what to do. I'm hesitant to change it and am also unsure what cheaper brand would give us the most bang for our buck. Any suggestions? What would you do in my situation? Thanks

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Keep in mind, the cheaper the dog food, the less nutrition per cup and so, the more they have to eat to get the same nutrition. The cheaper the dog food, the more waste and more poop to scoop. :)

When going for a less expensive food, look for meat as the first and/or second ingredients and the more meat toward the front, the better. Avoid corn. It's just filler.

Dog Food Analysis is a good site to review to find the best food for your dog.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You would have to feed your dog more of the Pedigree because it's loaded up with corn, by products and all kind of crappy ingredients. I hear Chicken Soup for the Dod Lover's Soul is reasonably priced. There are a lot of good dogfoods out there. Just do a little research before you make a decision. Good luck on your up coming marriage! :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
So I feel like I am in a bit of a pickle here and need your opinions on what to do. To sum things up, I'm getting married in 3 months, my fiancee and I have both had to take pay cuts and money is pretty tight. We currently feed California Natural and pay $43 for a 30 lb bag. It lasts us about a month.

Now I care about my dog so much and want what is best for him, but my fiancee thinks we should change his food to something cheaper. I've seen 40 lb bags of Iams and Pedigree for only $33. $10 doesn't sound like a lot of savings, but any money helps, plus the food would last us longer because it is 10 lbs more.

I don't know what to do. I'm hesitant to change it and am also unsure what cheaper brand would give us the most bang for our buck. Any suggestions? What would you do in my situation? Thanks

Well, be careful if and when you switch. You might get an extra 5-10 pounds and save a few bucks, but I can almost guarantee that you'll be feeding more, as well as scooping up a HECK of a lot more poop. Don't save two nickels only to end up spending a dime, know what I mean?

As an example, you can get a 35 pound bag of Chicken Soup for about $37. It's a GREAT dog food and you can rest assured that your dog is getting complete, balanced nutrition and a reputable product that many Dogsters wholeheartedly endorse. I'd also be willing to bet that the 35 pounder from Chicken Soup lasts as long, if not LONGER than the 40 pound bag of far lesser quality food like Iams or Pedigree.

Hey, I understand the pinch on your budget. Times are tough but if you stop and think about it, shopping for dog food doesn't have to break the budget if you use common sense and do your research. Now, if you REALLY want to save money, have you considered something like Diamond Naturals? Petco has a 50 (yep, FIFTY) pound bag online for $31.99!! I imagine you could get a similar deal in the store as well. Granted, the food isn't as good as the higher end brands but it's certainly better than the aforementioned Iams and Pedigree (and cheaper!)

Best of luck to you with your wedding and in your quest for good, affordbale dog food!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Do you have a Costco nearby? Their Kirkland dog food is very inexpensive and the ingredient list is very good. I don't feed it, personally, but I know lots of folks that do, and their dogs look great!

·
Registered
193 Posts
We feed our Lab the Kirkland brand food, and it is a good food for the price. I can't remember for sure, but I think we pay somewhere around $25 for a 40lb bag. So if you have access to a Costco, that would be my suggestion. :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If you DON'T have access to Costco, Diamond Naturals is the same food as the Kirkland Signature. A lot of feed stores sell the Diamond line. It's reasonably priced and a decent food. Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul is a step up in quality, but is still reasonably priced. It's also in the Diamond line, so is usually sold at the same places as DN.

Iams and Pedigree are pretty bad. I think a dog accustomed to eating CA Naturals would get sick on them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
We feed our Lab the Kirkland brand food, and it is a good food for the price. I can't remember for sure, but I think we pay somewhere around $25 for a 40lb bag. So if you have access to a Costco, that would be my suggestion. :)
Forgot about that one. Excellent dog food for those on a budget or just wanting to watch their money. I'd go with the Kirkland too! :)

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
I think Chicken Soup is the best food for the price. Kirkland is also very good, but most people don't have a Costco membership, so I don't usually mention that one.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
You've received some great suggestions. Brands like Kirkland, Maxximum, Authority, Chicken Soup and Diamond Naturals have much higher quality ingredients than Iams and Pedigree.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I use EVO and recently added TOTW, mixing the two together. I used to poach fresh ground meats and chicken breasts to supplement the kibble, but now, am using the pressure cooker to cook whole chickens, so they can eat the bone as well. Buying what's on sale, and mixing the cooked with the dry food has cut my dog food bill considerably. I made them a pot roast that had my daughter drooling! LOL The nice part is that I can eat it, too.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Another recommendation for Kirkland or Diamond Naturals (make sure it says "Naturals" on the bag!). Great food for a great price (about $22 for 40 lbs). You don't have to feed more than you would any other higher end food (like Natural Balance).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts