Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was hoping someone might have some advice for me. I have a puppy 9 weeks old. He was brought up on "Healthy Morsels Puppy Chow". But we have decided we want to feed him Wellness.

I understand that this transfer should occur over the course of a week if not longer, but the breeder only sent enough food to mix in for about 2 days.

We have been to every petstore and grocery store in the area and have not been able to find more of the purina healthy morsels puppy chow. So i'm at a loss as how to handle this. Stores like petco have it on their website, but not a single one of the locations actually stocks it.

He really seems to like the wellness food. (he actually snubbed one puppy chow kibble that was found in one of his kongs after eating wellness.) But i'm worried i could be throwing his digestion for a loop.

So we've just been making him eat slowly, (half his serving from hand feeding) and the other half from a kong. We are hoping that might help, but was looking for anyone with suggestions, ideas, or knowledge....

thanks!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You can mix 3/4 Morsels and 1/4 Wellness then 1/2 Morsels and 1/2 Wellness then 1/4 Morsel to 3/4 Wellness on the 3rd day and the last of the Morsels on the 4th day. Pup should do just fine as the usual change over is anywhere from 3 days to 7.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
The above suggestions are very good. I'd just do the switch like Tooney said and not worry about it. In the worst case scenario he will have some diarrhoea but he will not get seriously ill.

Switching foods is really dependent on the individual dog. Some dogs require up to two weeks to switch; my dogs can switch overnight no problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I'm virtually out of the old puppy chow after 2 days and it seems impossible to get. (been to every pet store, drug store, and grocery store hoping to find it in my area). Hence my call for advice on how to proceed.

I'll try the probiotics. Hopefully he adjusts quickly.

We were only able to transition him over 2.5 days before we rant out of the puppy chow.... so frustrating to not be able to find more of that food!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts