Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to take a friend's dog as she can no longer take care of it. What do I need to do to register me as the owner? or do I need to do this at all? She says she has the dog's shot papers, and he is registered with the AKC (not sure what that entails). What is the process that I need to go through to "legally" make me the dog's owner?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I am about to take a friend's dog as she can no longer take care of it. What do I need to do to register me as the owner? or do I need to do this at all? She says she has the dog's shot papers, and he is registered with the AKC (not sure what that entails). What is the process that I need to go through to "legally" make me the dog's owner?
If the dog is currently AKC-registered, you can change the ownership using a "Transfer Form ", which you can download from the AKC site. Both you and the previous owner will have to fill it out.

You'll also need the original AKC registration certificate.

If the previous owner was also the breeder, the procedure is slightly different.

You are only required to do this if you intend to breed the dog, to enter events, or in some cases if you want to use the AKC registration to dual-register the dog with other registries.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
If your city has a licensing requirement, you should have the dog licensed in your name. If the dog is microchipped, you'll want to change that info to yours. Otherwise there's nothing really that has to be done to transfer ownership of a pet.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the dog is currently AKC-registered, you can change the ownership using a "Transfer Form ", which you can download from the AKC site. Both you and the previous owner will have to fill it out.

You'll also need the original AKC registration certificate.

If the previous owner was also the breeder, the procedure is slightly different.

You are only required to do this if you intend to breed the dog, to enter events, or in some cases if you want to use the AKC registration to dual-register the dog with other registries.
So if I don't plan on showing him or doing any of the things you listed above, I don't need to bother with the AKC stuff?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
If you think there'll ever be a dispute about ownership, you'd probably want to put everything possible into your name, and get a signed "transfer of ownership" paper (that you make up yourself) from the owner. But most people never want their old pets back, I don't know if this is any kind of risk in that situation.

If there's no dispute about ownership, it just doesn't matter at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts