Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Greta Re-homed (and doing awesome as a pet, companion and jogging, hiking and football game watching dog) it was time to do some changes here with how dogs are handled.

With two bitches and a male and the male and one bitch working dogs (actually in training and going to club) trying to have all the dogs in the house was simply not an option. The two bitches (one was the house dog) were working up to a real knock-down-drag-out one-of-us-will-be-dead-when this-is-over battle and two young working dogs jealous of each other and the time I spent training with each it just would not work.

But everything is different now. I have the older spayed bitch who has been "the house dog" for most of her life and the young 16-17 month old male who is very very balanced and also very "young in the head" but a super nice dog. I have no one to yell at here (I live alone) so there is no influence from human conflicts (these can truly mess with a dog's head) and so I can have both dogs together (some of the time). The Male is old enough to have bonded to me and with all his pack drive, he prefers me to the other dog. The older bitch will play a little with the young dog but in the house she is like, "Just leave me alone. I know you are just going to be trouble."

To that end, I am working the young dog into the house. Today I moved his crate into the bedroom so at night he won't be downstairs in the basement. Because (at least at first) he probably won't let any of us sleep at night if he's loose, I can crate him and leave the other dog loose. Eventually the goal is both dogs loose in the house at night and loose with me in the house when I am home etc. living more "normal" lives if you would. It will give me an added level of security (even tho my young dog is a baby in the head, he is 80 pounds and solid black German Shepherd so he has "presence"). Most people back up when a dog this size comes toward them.. and the color helps too. Sort of a "hound of the Baskervilles" look. I just cannot get his eyes to glow. Yet. Ha!

Up to this point I did not want the young dog with other dogs. He has one job to do (train and compete in IPO sport) and he needs to do that with me. I needed him to find me the most interesting and fun thing in his life. THAT has been accomplished.

The first time I let the older dog and the young dog together here (I have almost acres so plenty of room) the older dogs was like, "YOU are going to get me in trouble so I am going over here and sit on the front porch where I know I am safe!" The young dog ignored her and then I put them both up.

The next time the older dog did a little play bow.. it was funny.. like she was "testing" him. I gave her an enthusiastic "Good Girl!!" and he took off running and she actually chased him and even cut him off at the pass. She is 8 and a half.. and her right hind hip is a bit off. I let it go for a bit then opened the gate to the fenced yard and he went in and she stopped as she had enough running. Each time I let it alone a little longer. Eventually the goal is for play to stop on their terms (but I need to keep an eye on the older girl as it is not fair to let her get hurt).

Now there is a crate upstairs.. and we see how it goes. The young dog finds being in the house a bit strange and he stresses a little. The one cat nailed him when he got to close and he now gives her a LARGE space (the benefit of him being a baby yet.. another year and that outcome might have been a life loss for the cat). He is friends with the other cat.

As I type this there is peace...
...So we see how it goes.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Peace is good. Good luck with the transition!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After club training yesterday (all three phases) I had a tired puppy. He is having trouble settling but was better last night.

Tonight ought to be fun. Wild weather forecast for today so everyone is in indoor kennels downstairs. This means they will store energy all day and that potential will be unleashed (ha! literally) tonight as kinetics..

.... and to that end I have two rib bones in the freezer. I think I will stop and get dog bed #2 on the way home and start teaching this boy a "place" command. Gotta do something when it is crappy out and winter is on its way!

This week they are supposed to come and put up my 26X30 steel building. More space indoors to train.. tho it will be awhile before I get electric installed. More work.. at my age you would think I would slow down. A little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts