Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued my fur baby 16 years ago. He is showing his age in that he moves slowly, he sleeps a lot, we've had to switch him to soft food due to his teeth being bad... All to be expected. I am wondering about two other DRAMATIC changes though. 1) If there is a mirror, he is almost fixated on himself, curious look on his face. He's not entertained, not barking... Just watching himself, confused almost. 2) He seems to have developed "puppy bipolar". Some times he is so energetic, sweet, the baby I remember then other times he randomly (sometimes with/sometimes completely without provocation) attacks me, my partner and our 11 year old.

Are either of these normal behaviors? Why does he stare at himself? Why does he randomly snap and become angry puppy?

Please help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It sounds like he could be going thru a doggie dementia. It's hard as they age. Much they start to do is not logical to us. He probably stares cause he is trying to figure out the thing in the mirror. Likely eyesight is going or almost gone. The random bad moods could be related to pain or fear/anxiety. It's tough since we cannot be in their minds nor ask them to give us answers.My heart goes out to you. Hang in there.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I agree that it could be canine cognitive dysfunction and/or vision problems. The snapping could be caused by pain. In any case, if he hasn't been recently, a thorough vet check would be a good idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like he could be going thru a doggie dementia. It's hard as they age. Much they start to do is not logical to us. He probably stares cause he is trying to figure out the thing in the mirror. Likely eyesight is going or almost gone. The random bad moods could be related to pain or fear/anxiety. It's tough since we cannot be in their minds nor ask them to give us answers.My heart goes out to you. Hang in there.
I feared as much... Thank you so much for your response and support.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts