Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after Chewy stopped selling Fromm I had to change foods and initially tried Earthborn Holistic but the poops were very soft so changed over a 2 week period to Victor. During the transition the fur on his butt darkened quite significantly (he's blond and the fur turned dark brown) and I thought it was because of the transition, however it's now been 6 weeks and the fur is still brown.
He's fine, the poops are fine, he's not scooting, itching, licking, etc.
I'm thinking I should change his food but just wondered if anyone else had had a similar experience?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Well my rescued dogs' coats improved with a richer color and improved feel but nothing like what you are describing. You are going from good food to good food, my dogs went from a bad diet to a good one. What kind of dog? I know a stripped terrier retains more color than a clipped coat because undercoat is pale compared to the guard hairs. Puppy coat is often much paler than adult coat.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's a 4 year old blond terrier who was last at the groomers about a month before we changed the food. At first I thought it was because of the loose poops from the Earthborn and assumed it would grow out after the transition but it's got worse - darker and spreading slightly, and I can see it's at the very root of the fur. I've wiped with a clean cloth repeatedly but it doesn't make any difference. Nothing else has changed and the rest of his fur is fine so I think I'll have to try another food or go back to the Fromm.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Is the hair much coarser than the old hair? Are they guard hairs or undercoat? I have no clue why but every once in a while my black spaniel mix's rear end feathers would go extremely coarse, like horsehair. Still black though.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it's actually quite soft, same as the fur around it. Texture seems to be unchanged. It's just the color change, and I know terriers can change color but it seems an odd area for it to happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts