Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this is the correct place, but this does involve training.

Now that it is getting hot, 80+ and the days are long, I am thinking of changing when we play or train and when I feed the dog. The park that we are now going to is closer with a 15 minute drive but without a river to play in. Where we did play at is now about 40 minutes away.

Normally, when I get home from work we do the pee and poop and then I change into play close. We then go out and play for about an hour(not when it get this hot). Come home and wait for at least 30 minutes to feed the dog. We usually eats at about 7:30.

What I would like to do is come home, do pee and poop and then we eat dinner. Go out and play at about 7 when it is not as hot and humid.

Is there any problems in making this change? Is this a good idea.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I don't see a problem with the change. I recommend bringing water when you play.

There is one rare issue with larger dogs. I expect someone else to speak up. If you have a dog over 60 lbs with a large chest, then there is the slim possibility of bloat and torsion. Old Labs can get it, greyhounds, and that shape of dog. I don't think that GSDs, or small dogs get it. Don't know about Pits. But, if you don't have a large dog, its not a concern.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I thought any dog could get bloat, just that it was more prevalent in large dogs, including GSDs. I could be wrong, though.

I don't see a problem changing your schedule. Just be prepared for a little whining or acting out due to confusion. Dogs can be sensitive to schedule changes, but they adapt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts