Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog, Lucy is a little over two years old, she is a 35 pound lab/pom mix. I "rescued" her from my former employers. I have known her since she was 8 weeks old but she didn't officially become mine until she was 14 months old. When I got her I was living in Tennessee, she wasn't potty trained, chewed on everything, wasn't obedience trained, not socialized with other animals or people and was very hyper. I moved to New York with her and her behavior changed for the better, she wasn't as hyper, I started training her myself, socializing her with other dogs, cats and she even had a little bunny friend, taking her to the dog park, she had issues with new people coming into her life at first but then she slowly got more used to it and she didn't bark as much... except for at one man who lived near us, she couldn't seem to get used to him which I still don't know why. We were in New York for almost a year.

In December I had to move back to Tennessee for college and her behavior is going back to the way it used to be. She will still walk nicely on a leash as long as there is no distractions but as soon as there is another animal (dog, cat, bird, squirrel) or a person she completely freaks out, starts pulling on the leash so hard that she almost knocks me over and she barks so much that when I try to get her attention on me she doesn't even notice me. It's like she gets tunnel vision.

It finally got to be to much so I decided to get professional help and enrolled her in training classes. The trainer did a few exercises with her and told me that Lucy has extremely bad separation anxiety from me almost to the point where it is a danger to herself. And that Lucy is very protective of me because the trainer took her for a walk and even though she did bark some she didn't react anywhere near as bad as she did when she is with me. She told me to give Lucy 3ml of benadryl to keep her calm but it doesn't seem to have an effect on her.

Since I started taking Lucy to training classes I have been using some of the techniques that the trainer has told me but they aren't working either. The trainer told me that when Lucy barks to tell her "It's okay" because if she knows I am okay then she will be calmer, this doesn't work. Next the trainer told me there are parts on a dog that will instantly calm them (the chest, the belly, behind their ears and near their tail) that doesn't work either. When I touch her she will whip her head around and snap at me, she has made contact with me more than a couple times. It never breaks the skin but I have huge bruises on my legs and one on my arm. I know she doesn't mean to hurt me but I really don't know what to do, the trainer said not to get a muzzle but how else am I going to stop her from nipping at me when I am trying to calm her down?

She is the perfect dog inside the house. She doesn't bark very much, she plays with my cats with such gentleness it amazes me and she even lets kids play on top of her.

One of my friends that has four dogs suggested getting another dog for Lucy to play with, help her socialize and even get her tired so when I take her out places she will be more relaxed. I just don't know if that will work.

Any advise or suggestions would be amazing.
Sorry for this being so long.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
She is reactive. It is a very common issue. Have a look at this thread I've linked. It has a lot of helpful info. on dealing with reactivity :)
http://www.dogforums.com/dog-training-forum/191506-links-books-blogs-etc.html

Her whipping around to bite you is called redirection. When a dog is so wound up, they don't realize who is touching them and will whip around to give a warning nip as in "leave me alone! I'm busy right now!"

I would look into the Look At That game. It helped immensely with my old foster who was extremely leash reactive. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much! I will look at the link and try the Look At That game. I have tried doing Look at me but she will only do it for some kind of meat, dog treats don't motivate her.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Thank you very much! I will look at the link and try the Look At That game. I have tried doing Look at me but she will only do it for some kind of meat, dog treats don't motivate her.
Then use meat.

My dog isn't big on treats either. I use cheese and meat to work with him.

It's all about using something that motivates them so if meat is the only thing she responds to then start with meat :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts