Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have noticed a change in Wally the last couple of weeks with concern to drinking. He will drink a lot all at once (we are talking a couple of minutes of drinking) and in the middle of the night. He has never drank in the night before, but every couple of nights he will get up and frantically run to his water bowl and drink. Last night my husband made sure he drank some water before bed and he still got up at 1:30am and drank a lot (he also ate then too as he didn't eat his evening meal - both of my dogs graze all day so I just leave the food out).
I am not sure if he is drinking more than usual or just drinking less often.

He has not gained or lost any weight, he is not lethargic, poop is normal (firm, 1-2 times a day although it has been light brown in color since switching to a grain-free food) and he isn't even urinating more than usual. His eating is about the same, although he is eating less than he did a few weeks ago, but we also changed food around then.

He had a full blood panel done before Christmas (he was quaking his jaw a lot but has since stopped for whatever reason) and everything came back normal. He also had a urine test and that was fine too.

Should I be concerned for anything or is this just yet another Wally-ism?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He also had a urine test with his blood test before Christmas (I just edited my above post) and it was fine, but I guess that could change in a couple of months. I have a friend who had a dog with diabetes and she lost a ton of weight and he hasn't, but I guess every dog is different.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I hope it turns out to be nothing. :)

I am just paranoid about the pancreas thing now since the vet told me about the Schnauzers and their many issues with it. :/ Better safe than sorry sometimes ... Leeo only started the excessive thirst thing a while back but I was told it was from the prednisone and then the diet food to dissolve bladder stones? :/

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can understand the paranoia part. My sister had a schnauzer with pancreas issues too and it was always worrying when she had an episode :(

Wally is the blonde/apricot guy and he is either poodle-maltese or a cockapoo. If this were Clyde (my schnoodle) I would take him in right away as he is part schnauzer, but more importantly is very predictable in his behavior. He eats at the same times, drinks at the same times or after certain events, and even puts himself to bed at the same time every night. Wally is much more of a free spirit and will randomly do weird and worrying things and then stop them within a week so it is much harder to say what exactly is going on with him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts