Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a new foster pup. She is a German wirehair pointer mix she weighs about 40lbs, just got neutered and is probably around 3..

Her story:

What we have been able to piece together is that she was owned by a lady who was kind of a recluse. Basically she left the dogs in her dark house and let them out in the yard once in awhile. Mostly they were potty trained on newspaper and never met anther human or another dog. There were three other dogs living there that were also given up. We do not believe they were physically abused, but they are all unsocialized and are in need of confidence

My gal has fared pretty well considering. Every walk is an OMG experience. She looks at me in disbelief every time we pass any human, dog, etc. She is just so exited and happy - every walk is Wally World. If the weather wasn't so hot, she would never want to go inside.

Challenges I am having with her:

1. She has a licking problem. It started with face kisses and has grown to her wanting to aggressively lick anyone, everywhere, jumping and tail wagging. When she gets in these licking fits, she is unresponsive to anything. "Being a tree" doesn't help, she just gets different areas to feast on. I have had the thought to treat this like bite inhibition - yelping when she starts on me and leaving the room. Anyone have any other suggestions? Also wanted to mention that I think she is also wanting the salt from the sweat when she licks... it is 100 degree weather and everyone must taste pretty strong.

2. I have yet to find a motivating food for her. I have a feeling she was fed table scraps. She will eat her dog food, but not all of it. I even got her hot dogs pieces as a treat and though she was happy to eat them for bit, she lost interest pretty quickly. I was able to get her to sit a couple of times with them, but that was it. I have spent a crazy amount on treats and probably need to accept that she is not food motivated. The only thing she has consistently eaten was her multivitamin... Even though she has some toys that she loves, they are not motivation for her to start working on her skills. What else can I use?

3. She can not sit still. She is constantly pacing. While we are inside, she is either pacing or sleeping. Finding toys that likes has helped to focus her play, but I would love for her to calm down and be able to relax. The weather is crazy hot, so we are not getting the amount of walks I would like, but we are still getting 3-5 miles in. I know some of this is nervous/excited energy, but does any one have an idea to get her to chill?

This lady is so eager to please and really has done so well acclimating to her new big world. She is super smart, I just need to figure out her quarks so the training can begin.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
1. I don't know if it will help her but this helped Tank, my lab. I would put him in a sit and stay and wait for him to calm down. Then I would tell people they could pet him. If he tried to jump up, repeat. It took a while but he finally calmed down and can now be petted without jumping on people.

2. Some dogs are not food or toy motivated. "Good girl" or "good dog" is enough for them. Have you thought about taking her into a pet-smart or something and see if you can find a toy she likes?

3. Tank was/is like that sometimes. I finally found a bone he likes(from the local butcher) and he will chew on it for awhile. He also likes his Kong. it keeps him busy also for awhile. I also did some Obedience with him 10 minutes every other hour. Adding those things in plus outside time it kept him a little calm. he still gets nervous or anxious sometimes and I have to take him outside for a little bit. Even if it is 100+ degrees for a little bit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Miss Daisy doesn't know any commands yet except sit - and that is very inconsistent. I was hoping to work on Sit, but without food or toys helping, I am having a had time keeping her attention and tempting her to obey. Praise seems to help mostly to give her some reassurance in new situations.

She wont chew/lick anything (except people) for more than a few licks. Peanut butter in kongs, frozen bone marrow, and dental chews... None of my usual indoor engaging activities are working!

I am very active and have a flexible work schedule. On Sunday, it was in the 90s, we walked 7 miles, including the park where there were lots of interesting smells and small animals to observe and chase, she played in a sprinkler, we got a new toy to throw around the apartment, I worked with training... at the end of the night, still paced and had did not act tired. I cannot believe that this sweet dog can out last me! She is not destructive, and does not seem unhappy, but it would be great if that much exercise had some sort of affect on her.

Maybe training on a schedule every few hours like you suggested would be helpful. Even if she doesn't "get it," it might help her focus.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts