Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned 6 dogs so far and all of them have been what I like to call 'Novice Dogs' (3 Labrador/Labrador Mixes, Cocker Spaniel, Pomeranian, and a Maltese) .
I've been looking around for a new dog to add to my now one dog pack. I'm looking for a dog that is more of a challenge for me though. I've become more interested in agility than I ever was before (Before Chanel's lungs were really bad we did some runs) and I'm looking for a dog that can be good at agility but is also very smart!
Only problem we have is that we have a 5 year old in my house hold, he's not that rambunctious but I don't want to risk it.
Any dog breeds/mixes you can recommend?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
The rule is the same for "novice" dogs and "expert" dogs. No unsupervised interactions with very young children.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I'm not sure a Sibe would satisfy the agility requirement. Not that Sibes can't do agility, but it would certainly be more than a slight challenge.

Perhaps a Papillon? They also excel at the sport.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
A Lab is a novice dog?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Papillons are phonominal agility dogs! They make the world agility team every year for their jump hight. They are highly intelligent and highly trainable. They typicaly love everyone that they meet although they can be a bit aloof at times. They have a very easy to care for coat no clipping required. And because of their smaller size they are easy to excersize.

A few cons
They are shedders (But with labrador mixes I'm sure your used to it and papillons don't shed nearly as much as a labrador)
They tend to be a noisier breed, they hear a car pulling down the drivway and they start barking and don't stop untill someone walks in the house, kind of noisy.
They are a bit more fragile and should not be left amoung small children that can hurt them.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
The rule is the same for "novice" dogs and "expert" dogs. No unsupervised interactions with very young children.
I agree with this 100%. I would never, ever leave a child unsupervised with a dog. I would bet good money that if you did a study on dog bites that the vast majority of kids who are bitten by dogs are bitten when there is no supervision around. Both of my dogs are laid back, gentle and get along fine with kids while I'm around. If I'm not there, I can't keep the kid from doing something to the dog that might prompt a bite. Kids should never ever be left alone with dogs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts