• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 777 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a huge fan of Cesar Millan and wondering what everyone thinks of his methods and would you recomend his methods for people having problems with there dogs?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I think that he has a natural "way" with dogs, and he could do anything with any dog. I also think that your average dog owner would get bitten if they tried some of his methods.

Some of his methods could ruin a soft dog. He would be able to see that the dog couldn't handle it and back off, but most dog owners wouldn't see that and could do a lot of damage.

So....don't try this at home, folks. Doesn't it say that at the beginning of the show?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But also do you think if the owner nows his dog of by heart and are in a calm asertive energy and they now what they doing do you think they are in a fit state to try his methods and have experiance with dog physcology?

Can I ask why you's disagree with his methods?

Thank you for your opinionss :)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I think he's got amazing timing, great camera presence, and very, very good reflexes.

I think he's a horrible role model for people with an average family pet for anything past the whole 'exercise, discipline, affection' model.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DogStar would you use his methods on you're dogs?

because I am looking into using his methods on my dogs and so far they have worked, but thats my opinion.

Thank you for your opinion :)

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Yeah, most people with what I would call "normal" dogs read into his actions too much. Often to the detriment of the human-dog bond. But working with people who have seen the show is much easier than a clueless owner.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the links :)

but you would use his methods unless you know what you are doing, I think his methods do work on ordanary pets with problems and if you know how far to take the domanince and how much you and you dog can handle you could use them but only with a professional and knowledge of what you are doing.

Thank you's x

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
It depends which methods you're thinking of. His "Exercise, Affection, Discipline" mantra is all very fine. Calm assertive energy is also a good thing.

However, in the episode I was watching the other night, he was getting kind of physical with the dog, and the dog was obviously stressed. He can see the stress, and knows how far he can push the dog (whether I agree with deliberately stressing a dog in the name of training is another matter). Your average dog owner won't see that stress, and it could end very badly.

If you really understand learning theory and "dog psychology", you'll understand that it's not necessary to stress a dog to train it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I agree but with people who are having problems with they're dog and are reading into the methods and how to approch those problems in a more assertive manner would you recommend his methods I would but only to a owner who is willing to read up and understand his methodz. x

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Thank you for the links :)

but you would use his methods unless you know what you are doing, I think his methods do work on ordanary pets with problems and if you know how far to take the domanince and how much you and you dog can handle you could use them but only with a professional and knowledge of what you are doing.

Thank you's x
dominence doesn't exist. That's a wolf thing and its innaccurate in the extreme to apply it to dogs IMO. I will NEVER use his methods and his show disgusts me.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Have you seen the shows where the dog is trying to attack him while teaching them to walk....jumping/going ballistic...and he's jerking the dog around to control him? Or, the dogs that tried to attack the owners when they gave the dog a command? His methods are full of intimidation and 'gentle', 'calm' force that fits well with his Judo training.
While those tactics will certainly work in skilled hands they are not necessary. For example, the walking nicely on a loose leash can be done without force or MAKING the dog do it. Other methods teach the dog to WANT to walk with you...willingly, happilly.... without intimidation or force.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yes but if he nows how dar is right to push that dog and what the problems are but also yes the average everyday dog owner might not realise the dog is stressed, but also he doesnt stress all dogs he works with and he isnt as such training the dog he is over domaninating the dog to gain more control, I disagree with stressing a dog but it depends on what the situation is too.

dominence doesn't exist. That's a wolf thing and its innaccurate in the extreme to apply it to dogs IMO. I will NEVER use his methods and his show disgusts me.
If domanince doesnt exist then why is it when you have a pack of dogs there is always a pack leader a domaninate male or female leading that pack. A friend of mine has 9 dogs and there is a clear pack leader. The domaninate female who none of the other dogs would dare bother is she walks over to the other dog eating the other dog back off.

It appears to be domaninance. xx

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Here's the thing for me: I am far from a positive trainer, and far from a Cesar type of trainer. I have decided to limit most of my comments on training to specific situations that I have a vested interest in. If my income is not tied up in the need for a comment I typically will not comment. That is the course of action I would recommend for you as well, for this forum.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Yes but if he nows how dar is right to push that dog and what the problems are but also yes the average everyday dog owner might not realise the dog is stressed, but also he doesnt stress all dogs he works with and he isnt as such training the dog he is over domaninating the dog to gain more control, I disagree with stressing a dog but it depends on what the situation is too.
:eek:

...........................:(

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Have you seen the shows where the dog is trying to attack him while teaching them to walk....jumping/going ballistic...and he's jerking the dog around to control him? Or, the dogs that tried to attack the owners when they gave the dog a command? His methods are full of intimidation and 'gentle', 'calm' force that fits well with his Judo training.
While those tactics will certainly work in skilled hands they are not necessary. For example, the walking nicely on a loose leash can be done without force or MAKING the dog do it. Other methods teach the dog to WANT to walk with you...willingly, happilly.... without intimidation or force.
Yes you are right there but as he knows what he is doing and he doesnt appear to be pysically hurting the dog but using methods dogs themselfs use.

:eek:

...........................:(
Whats wrong? xx

1 - 20 of 777 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.