Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17,895 Posts

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
My link got moderated but I usually associate it with: Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers

Because that's how it's used here, though there are usually nice letters after their names and most websites using it link back to that page.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
To me it means they have completed -some type- of certification process, but since none of them really have any governing body overseeing them and verifying their quality it actually means very little.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
To me it means they have completed -some type- of certification process, but since none of them really have any governing body overseeing them and verifying their quality it actually means very little.
Same here. I would assume it means they have some sort of certificate that tells the world they are a dog trainer, but no idea of what it is or whether it's worth anything.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for a trainer to claim this. I think it's just advertising because people like to hear "certified" and if you took some difficult training course (like you are certified with the APDT) then you might as well advertise that.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I guess they mean APDT or KAren Pryor what have you.

I have been way way underwhelmed by the trainers I've seen in real life with those kinds of certifications. I'm sure some are decent but the cert itself means nothing to me.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
More and more training places are requiring their trainers to have gone through some kind of certification course in order to work at their facilities, many of the local training places here require certification for the trainers they hire.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I do know good trainers who went and got APDT or whatever so they could say they are certified on their website, because pet people like that (not knowing that it's basically worthless). But they were trainers long before APDT was even a thing.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, if I am a mentor trainer for people who take courses to be certified, can I claim to be certified? I have a certificate from the school indicating that I am a mentor trainer. The students finish their certification by working with me.

Or, are the students I sign off on "certified" while I, myself, am not?

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
So, if I am a mentor trainer for people who take courses to be certified, can I claim to be certified? I have a certificate from the school indicating that I am a mentor trainer. The students finish their certification by working with me.

Or, are the students I sign off on "certified" while I, myself, am not?
I would think it's up to you? You have some sort of certification if someone asked to see it, so it's not lying to say you're certified as a mentor trainer.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
To me....doesn't mean much. Some of the best trainers I know aren't certified in anything at all.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
This means a lot to me if I was looking for something

MrsBoats ( URO2 UCD UCH Lars UD GN RAE NJP NAP NFP OCC OJC TG-E EAC O-WV-E S-TN-E APDT RL2 AOE-L1, L2 HIC TT CGC TDI

Ocean RE NAP NJP OFP PD SPS SPJ SPG SPR NJC TN-O APDT RL1 AOE-L1 HIC CGC) :)

Its important to me for a breeder to be active with their dogs and it's not a bad idea for a trainer to also be active with their own dogs as well...

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
I'm more interested in what the trainer's STUDENTS have accomplished than the trainer themselves, to tell the truth. Oh, I want them to have achieved things with their own dogs, but there are some people who are great with dogs but horrible with *teaching*. Seeing their students have success is what tells me _that_ and that's what interests me most. It's just less obvious and apparent than them telling me what they've accomplished themselves, or if they have a certification in something. Ie: Hard to put on a website.

But it's still my gold standard.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
This means a lot to me if I was looking for something

MrsBoats ( URO2 UCD UCH Lars UD GN RAE NJP NAP NFP OCC OJC TG-E EAC O-WV-E S-TN-E APDT RL2 AOE-L1, L2 HIC TT CGC TDI

Ocean RE NAP NJP OFP PD SPS SPJ SPG SPR NJC TN-O APDT RL1 AOE-L1 HIC CGC) :)

Its important to me for a breeder to be active with their dogs and it's not a bad idea for a trainer to also be active with their own dogs as well...
Awwwwwww!! :) <3

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I have never thought to ask my trainer what her qualifications are. I like her and what I see in her dogs. Like where I've been going training wise. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
I never *asked* my trainer, but I found her through her website, so. (I found out a lot more from being around her, but still. My first contact with 'her' was with the website.)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts