Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My previously housebroken 1 1/2 yr old dog was "unbroken" when he had a UTI and the vet suggested that, because he needed max water to break up struvite crystals, I let him have water all night for three or four days (rather than putting it away after 8p, as I had previously). Understandably, he peed in the house. He had never had an accident (other than when he had a UTI, which is understandable since they lose control) before. Now, he's feeling free to pee in the bathroom, in specific spots.

I have tried Nature's Miracle and then vinegar over it (which Nature's Miracle itself suggested) and even bought another well rated enzymatic cleaner, Vet's Best Total Plus, Stain + Odor Remover. Neither is helping. He seems to also like to pee IN the cat box, which my cat naturally hates (I am now cleaning it 2x a day, regardless of whether it needs it).

Right now the go-to solution is a belly band with maxi pad, which works well. He hates his crate, and will bark til 2a if in it. He won't use potty pads. I'm consistently taking him out whenever he wants to go as well as late as possible in the evening. But I don't want to use the belly band forever (of course), and I'd like to find a "quick fix" if possible.

So here's the gist: I was thinking of using a small amount of cayenne mixed with vinegar and spraying it in the spots that he likes to pee in (e.g., in front of shower, sink, and litter box). Has anyone done this, and if so, was it successful? Also, if you have a cat, does it prevent him from using his box?

I know some will suggest starting over with training, getting him acclimated to crate, etc., but he has really bad separation anxiety and can't deal with the crate. It just isn't feasible (for the short term, at least).

Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW: I just found my old black light from when my now-deceased elderly cat was incontinent. I found some spots where I didn't expect them. Cleaning now; hopefully will help!

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
I'd put a baby gate on the bathroom door that the cat can jump over to access his litter box but which will keep the dog out. I doubt that cayenne and vinegar would do much to deter the dog although it might deter the cat from using his litter box if he's a picky kind of cat.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I would recommend instead using an enzymatic cleaner such as Natures Miracle around your cat box, and putting a puppy pad under the cat box to catch any 'over shooting' that may be occurring.
I would then also suggest putting a cat door on your bathroom OR using a baby gate to keep the dog out - you can put a cat door in the gate too so that your cat doesn't have to jump it if they don't want to.

I'd also go back to basics with housebreaking your dog and start rewarding heavily with high value treats for pees/poops outdoors.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, a gate would be ideal, but my cat is an overweight Maine Coon who once broke his leg, and he'd have as much luck as Enzo in getting through the cat door :(. I bet Enzo could jump it, but King Tubby couldn't. Now that I have this black light, I'm going to thoroughly clean the spots I missed and make sure I monitor everything. Maybe clean the floor with a cayenne/vinegar mix after the enzyme cleaner: it can't hurt. And it's a great suggestion to put a puppy pad in front of the cat box.

Thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
BTW: I just found my old black light from when my now-deceased elderly cat was incontinent. I found some spots where I didn't expect them. Cleaning now; hopefully will help!
We had a marker and an only nominally house-trained mini dachshund stay with us. After they were both gone, I broke out the blacklight and my wife was in tears. There was barely a vertical surface anywhere in the house that wasn't marked by the marker or a horizontal surface that wasn't spotted by the dachshund.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We had a marker and an only nominally house-trained mini dachshund stay with us. After they were both gone, I broke out the blacklight and my wife was in tears. There was barely a vertical surface anywhere in the house that wasn't marked by the marker or a horizontal surface that wasn't spotted by the dachshund.
It is incredibly frustrating, I know what you mean. And quite an ongoing chore. But at least you don't have the dachshund to worry about anymore! :)

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
Yes, a gate would be ideal, but my cat is an overweight Maine Coon who once broke his leg, and he'd have as much luck as Enzo in getting through the cat door :(. I bet Enzo could jump it, but King Tubby couldn't. Now that I have this black light, I'm going to thoroughly clean the spots I missed and make sure I monitor everything. Maybe clean the floor with a cayenne/vinegar mix after the enzyme cleaner: it can't hurt. And it's a great suggestion to put a puppy pad in front of the cat box.

Thanks everyone!
Get a hook latch for the door that will open wide enough to allow the cat in, but not the dog. That's what we did to keep Kuma out of my cat's litterbox when she was still alive, and it worked very well. Otherwise, I'm sorry to say there is no quick fix, just going back to basics and starting over.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get a hook latch for the door that will open wide enough to allow the cat in, but not the dog. That's what we did to keep Kuma out of my cat's litterbox when she was still alive, and it worked very well. Otherwise, I'm sorry to say there is no quick fix, just going back to basics and starting over.
Thanks! I wasn't familiar with what a hook latch is, but I think my Maine Coon might actually be wider than the dog. He is losing weight quickly (was a rescue with PTSD, got him at 30 lbs and now down to 20, trying for 15), so it might be feasible in a bit, but I'm not sure that it would keep Enzo out right now. But maybe worth a try. I'll measure the dog and the cat girth lol.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Vinegar over urine will not help. Both are acidic.... Vinegar will mimic urine smell and at times encourage urination...

You need to neutralize the odor... Vinegar will not do that... Quite the opposite.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts