Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, new member and first time puppy owner here!
I had a question regarding my puppy’s ears.

She is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel crossed with a Pomeranian. Both parents were purebreeds.

She is 16 weeks old today! Up until 14 weeks she had completely floppy ears, like a Cav. The vet even commented that they are Cav ears. They are also much larger than Pom ears.

However, 2 weeks ago they began to stick outwards to the side, and have remained this way since.

Does anyone know why this may have happened, and if it is likely to be permanent?

I’m not sure how to add pictures but will try to if need be!!

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,514 Posts
Second picture won't load for me, but this is pretty normal. Even a lot of dogs with prick ears (German Shepherds are a good example) are born with floppy ears. As the cartilage develops, it will change the ear shape, and often the ears will do all kinds of crazy things before "setting" in their adult shape. Particularly during teething. So it's perfectly normal! No real way to know what you'll wind up with in a mix, but that's part of the fun - even if they're bigger and shaped more like Cav ears, that thicker pom ear cartilage can affect how they set.

She's a real cutie!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts