Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble deciding on what breed to get. I am thinking either a toy poodle or cavalier king charles spaniel. I have very specific needs.

I live in China and am from the states. I will always live in an apartment with many people in and around it. A dog that barks a lot or is not good with strangers and other dogs would not be good. I will be traveling a lot with the dog, so it must be small enough to go in the cabin of an airplane. Some flights may be 10 hours plus. A dog that is too hard to potty train or behaves poorly would be bad. I would like to train the dog to use potty pads of the floor on airport restrooms. Is this realistic? I would be able to spend a lot of time with the dog but would be gone for about 3 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the afternoon.
The poodle seems like a good choice because of intelligence and ease of training. The cavalier seems a good choice because it is said to be quiet and good with people. Any advice? Anything else to consider?

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Part of this would depend on the quality of breeders that you have access to. Are you planning to buy in China or US? Either way, you want to see health testing on the parent dogs for genetic diseases common within their breeds

I'd lean towards poodle over CKCS for health, assuming both breeders are doing best practices as CKCS on the whole tend to have more serious health issues.

The Cavalier might also be pushing the size limits for under seat transport on airlines.

Much of what you are debating depends on the parents and grandparents of a dog in terms of calmness, friendliness and similar personality traits.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts