Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've fallen in love with a CKCS at our local shelter. I'm wanting to research the breed as much as possiable before I make the decission to adopt or not. This is the little boy in Question:

4yr old male.

I'd like to know if they're good with other dogs, and small animals. And any health issues they might have. He looks like a sweetie. I just want to make the right choice.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Cavaliers are great dogs. Most are fine with other dogs. As for getting along with small animals, it depends on the type of small animal and the dog in question, (they are spaniels after all). I have cockatiels and the dogs would rather eat their seeds than the birds themselves. I would never leave them alone together however. One of my cavaliers is a real hunter. She loves to hunt mice and lizards. She has never caught any that I know of. She sits outside in our backyard every night so that she can bark at the possums that walk along the top of our fence. The four dogs cornered a baby possum once but didn't hurt it, except maybe the poor little guy's ears because they kept barking at it. It "played possum" and once we rounded up all of them, it took off.

Yes, Cavaliers have significant health problems. Mitral valve disease (MVD) and syringomyelia (SM) are the two major health problems. If you want the dog, you better not wait. He won't be there for long. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'd be concerned about a cavalier that turned up in a shelter. It seems most that go to rescues have health issues the original family couldn't afford.

I have yet to meet a cavalier that could not coexist peacefully with other dogs. Though quite a few mature and have zero interest in playing 99.9% of the time.

Kennedy has killed countless birds. She caught one mid-air. Given the opportunity she definitely would kill any other small critter.

Health issues aside, they're an awesome breed.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I'd be concerned about a cavalier that turned up in a shelter. It seems most that go to rescues have health issues the original family couldn't afford.
Not necessarily. 10 years ago, you would never have found a Cavalier in a shelter. There were very few in rescue. Unfortunately now that is not the case. I have two good friends who work really hard in Cavalier rescue. Most dogs are placed for the normal reasons, no time for the dog, family moving, kids won't take care of it, etc. The Cavalier community scours Petfinder and any Cavaliers found are referred to local Cavalier rescues, so if the shelter works with rescues, they are gone as soon as possible.

Actually two of my dogs, the ruby and the black and tan were "shelter" dogs. They were confiscated from a hoarder along with a bunch of other dogs and cats.

That little dog is beyond adorable! Is there a link to the shelter? He needs to be referred to rescue if possible.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason behind him being left at he shelter is home foreclosure. They say he's a bit shy and scared at all the noise, but warms up after a while. I have ferrets, so I want to make sure they'll be safe. Sassy is crated when they're out, so if I do manage to get him, I'd probally do the same with him.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
It still seems so strange to me that a cavalier would end up in a rescue.
Personally, I would never give up my dogs for any reason....but it does happen. Owners die and family members don't want dogs, so off to rescue. Homes get foreclosed on and dogs go to rescue. Cavaliers are "velcro" and people don't have time for them so off to rescue. Cavaliers get out of yards and aren't microchipped, owners can't be found....so off to rescue. There is a male Cavalier that was found locally with a microchip from a foreign country. We are trying to locate the owners, but so far....nothing.... it happens.

They say he's a bit shy and scared at all the noise, but warms up after a while.
This is why the Cavalier community is so rabid about getting Cavaliers out of shelters and in foster homes. They don't do well in shelters.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
He is a mis-marked black and tan. (I LOVE black and tans!) My little black and tan has some white on his chest too, just not so much. My ruby has a full white chest. Mis-marking just gives them more character.

Cavaliers have have wonderful personalities. The only thing that they really want is to be near you. Some people don't like really velcro dogs. So that's something you need to keep in mind.

They are companion animals but they are very sporty too. I have one cavalier who competes in agility. Another is in training. My boys LOVE me. I can't sit on the couch without a couple of guys crowding round. Two of mine have rally novice titles and CGCs. I never went farther in rally because I got involved in agility. I am thinking of going back into rally soon. They are very trainable because they really want to please you. They are not street smart and it is strongly recommended that they not be off leash (except in the agility ring!).

The only downside is the health issues. Right now mitral valve disease is the leading cause of death of Cavaliers. Syringomyelia is a neurological disease that is rearing its ugly head. My two girls have heart murmurs due to MVD and I am suspicious that one of my boys may have mild SM. It is something you will need to consider. I do have my dogs heart checked annually.

If you don't decide to take home this little sweetheart, could you please PM me with the name and location of the shelter. I would like to notify the local rescue to see if they can work with the shelter to get him into foster. Cavaliers really don't do well in shelters.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I largely do not like Spaniels, but I absolutely love Cavaliers. I have never met a Cavalier that was not awesome. Honestly, if one turned up in a shelter/rescue, I would be hard pressed not to adopt barring any serious issues.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
How much money do you have saved up for vet bills? This would be my main concern if I was considering adopting a CKCS from a shelter.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Or pet insurance.

Really with ANY dog you need a vet plan..any dog can become a frequent visitor and its not always the "illness prone" dogs due to genetics.

He's very cute. I hope if you don't get him, he finds a great home. I love Cavalier King Charles. I've always wanted one as a child from seeing them in dog shows and meeting really great ones.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Oh, well the part of me knows that any breed can end up in a shelter or rescue. But the other part of me is kind of dumbfounded. Every cavalier owner I know(and they're gaining in popularity here) is obsessed with their dogs. CKCS owners bee line it for us when we're out and about. One couple actually yelled,"It's a cavi!". A few months ago we went to a 1st bday party for a little cavi named quincy.

It's like a completely different breed of dog owner. My roommate's entire family has cavaliers. She spent two weeks comatose on the couch when her last boy died.

I've heard that the girls will Love you but the boys will be in love with you.

Kennedy had her heart checked the first time when she turned two. We are doing it annually as well so she's going again in two months when she turns three. Still murmur free. Though I suspect SM but her neck/head sensitivity may be from the time she was attacked by a large dog. I still worry.

As with any dog, have a vet plan. Money saved, care credit, pet insurance, etc. I have all of the above.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He was adopted the day I went to the shelter. So glad he got a new home. I'll keep my options open. I hope to find the perfect dog soon.. Wayside Waifs tends to get alot of purebred dogs! They recently had an Irish Wolfhound.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts