Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone knows about this dog breed or has opinions on them but this is something I sent on a Cavalier King Charles page on Facebook but it seems not to be a very active page

Hi everyone, I had a question about the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I recently heard how they are very much a dog who loves to cuddle and be on your lap and help people with anxiety. Sadly I just found out this info so I didn’t know much about the breed beforehand so had a question for you all

I notice many of the ones for sale are close to 1,700 to 3,000 dollars so I’m concerned with purchasing some that show up in the 800-1100 range. Do you feel that chances are it’s something that the breeder is hiding or are there some Cavalier King Charles that indeed sell for that price? I just want to make sure since I’ve just started my research. Thank you.

Also I might as well ask I’m also considering Dalmatians. Anyone have any experience with them as well?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Meh. I think that price might be a little high. A well-bred dog from a reputable breeder will be expensive, of course, and sometimes the price will vary depending on the money the breeder had to spend in order to raise the litter. I don't think it's an absolute bad deal, but you have to carefully research your breeder to see if the price they charge for their pups is reasonable.

One thing you should be very aware of in Cavaliers, they have a number of health issues which can result in an early death. Research Mitral Valve Disease in the breed. Here is a link to the official breed club page: https://www.ackcsc.org

This means that it is very important to select a breeder who health tests their breeding stock. Not just a health certificate from a vet, but an OFA health certificate. You can read more about that on the breed club page I linked. There is also a "Breeder Referral" page on that website, which is an excellent place to start your search for a reputable breeder. I would absolutely not go with any BYB who gives their dog their puppy shots, a "certificate of health" from the vet, and calls it good. That's a Backyard Breeder, and they are doing nothing to help improve the breed.

You kind of picked two very different breeds here. Both with some health concerns, but really very different. I would do some more research on each breed and identify the traits that attract you to each. A GOOD breeder will ask you why you want that particular breed, and you better have an answer that demonstrates you spent time reflecting on your own lifestyle and how that breed would fit into it.

Here is a link to the Dalmatian official breed club page, too: http://www.thedca.org

The same care must be taken when selecting any breeder. If you post links to the breeders you are looking at, I'm sure people would be happy to help you decide whether that's a good breeder or not.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
As Lillith said, two very different breeds, both of which can have serious health issues. Definitely do more research beyond "how much do puppies cost?". Cavs are very much (as a breed) snuggly lap dogs, and Dals are (as a bred) very active, go-go-go dogs that need a fair bit of exercise. For either breed, yo will want to pick a breeder who health tests and titles their breeding dogs.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My friends have a badly bred cavalier who is a total lovebug... but he definitely wasn't bred well, and he just started having arthritis issues at 4.. A friend was looking for one and couldn't find one under $1500 either - I'm sure that most of the cheap ones are from backyard breeders or puppy mills, because it costs money to do health testing on the parents, and it increases the prices... but believe me, it's WAY worth spending an extra $1000 for a well bred one (my friends got told that their dog might need surgery and it's $2000 a knee!).

Honestly, another option is to contact rescues and ask if they have a lap dog. Lots of dogs are cuddly and lap dogs, mutts or well bred... and with adult rescues you'll know exactly what you're getting (I mean, I got a 85 lb cuddlebug).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts