Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally I had a cat in my house. Then, I got another one. Without much encouragement, they managed to get along fine. I assumed it would be similar for a puppy, but looking back I can see that was a little naive. It's now a few months on, and I've lost all hope of the animals forming some kind of truce. All I've been able to find is help on introducing a dog to a house of cats, but I think it's a bit late for that.

What I need is some help on getting the animals to get along. My younger cat has a lot less trouble with the dog, but seems quite nervous of it still. My older cat outright hates the dog.

My dog is a fairly large labradoodle of 1 year. My youngest cat is about 2 years old, and my oldest is over 5 years old. The dog can get a little energetic, but isn't aggressive towards the cats.

Anyhow, help is required. Any tips or instructions welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
They just may never get along. My cat doesn't mind my older dog(16months) too much. She doesn't want to play with him or snuggle but doesn't freak out about him. She wasn't to happy for the first while though. Bayne, my older dog, doesn't bother with her.

My new pup really wants to play with my cat but the cat doesn't want her anywhere near her. The pup isn't aggressive towards her, just wants to play. The cat is aggressive towards the pup. If the pup comes to close, she hisses and tries to claw her.

The only thing I can suggest or say is that it may still take more time for your cat's to warm up or it may never happen. Sorry I can't be of more help... Maybe someone else will be able to help :)

·
Banned
785 Posts
My suggestion is the less you do to intefere with them the better off you are and the better off they are. You will be surprised what time will do. From your description, it doesn't seem as if the dog is trying to harm the cats so just let them be.

In my house the cats are resposnsible for avoiding the dogs if need be. They can reach safety from almost anywhere in about 1 second. They can read the dogs and tell if they need to avoid them or can play with them.

The cats used to swipe the dogs some but that doesn't happen anymore. The dogs will still sometimes chase a cat but it appears no harm is intended. It's more play than anything. Usually they all igore each other. They can be in the same room together and even lay together occasionally.

I have never done anything to help them get along. I just let them work it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts