Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 14 month old catahoula named Marty. He is very well behaved, listens, comes when called.....as long as we are in the confines of the yard. Once we step foot outside the gate he is not interested in listening to me. He is ok on walks until he see's a rabbit or another dog, and at the offleash park, he'll very rarely come when called.

We have been to obedience classes and he passed.. but again, this was inside in a place he eventually got used to.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get him to listen to me...and only me when we are outside of his normal envrionment? It makes me nervous that he may run off and get himself into a dangerous situation, because I can't get him to listen. Should I maybe try a private trainer? A hunting course?

My goal is that he will come to me when I call him, no matter where we are or what he is doing, when he hears my whistle/voice, he will come right away.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thank You! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this was long ago, but your post reminds me of our Catahoula, so I am wondering what progress you were able to make and how. Namely, were you able to get him to pay attention to you when distracted? If so, how? Ours is a ~one-year-old just five weeks out of the shelter, so, naturally, I'm wondering does he just need more time or is there also some insight or technique I am missing. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
The OP hasn't been here for 11 years. You probably want to start a new thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.