Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. I'm beginning to feel insane!

I have been working with a catahoula rescue group, looking for an active dog that really likes other dogs (to fit in with my 3 girls) and loves to play (because Boudi would love to have a canine play partner).

The rescue has a dog in foster who totally fits the bill. He's a cross - about 2 years old, who loves other dogs, not an aggressive bone in his body-- loves to run and play - a big goofy guy from the look of it. He's actually really cute (although a bit overweight). The only thing stopping me is that he has the body of an American bulldog, not a catahoula. He's kind of a bulldog with catahoula coloring.

I love the bully breeds, it isn't that. But this wasn't the place I was at when I decided to adopt a catahoula. Am I being ridiculous? Am I crazy here?

I have a picture of the tall athletic catahoulas bounding through the air -- and he so isn't that. This fellow looks like such a sweet guy, and I'm sure he'll fit in the family just fine -- He'd run with me, be able to do some agility for fun, play with my Bo.... But I just can't seem to pull the trigger. I see 6 month old catahoula pups I know so much less about temperament wise and I think "Oh he'd be perfect!" But I don't think that with this guy....

What on earth should I do? This wonderful lady has already spent much time and effort trying to match me up, and I'm balking over something that seems so silly - it's making me feel insane.

Any words of advice? Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I guess I'm not understanding the issue here. It sounds like your choices right now are dogs that are the right breed with all the wrong characteristics or a dog that's the wrong breed with all the right characteristics. That seems like a fairly obvious choice to me.

Having said that, if you gotta have that breed, then you gotta have that breed. So wait until the right breed with all the right characteristics pops up. It's gotta happen eventually!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Well then, you're crazy! But dogs are a matter of personal preference and if you don't really want the one being offered, then you shouldn't take it.

On the flip side, you shouldn't take a dog that isn't right for just because it's a breed you like. If you're going to hold out, make sure you're holding out for the perfect dog and not just for a dog that looks right.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well then, you're crazy!

I was suspecting that!

I'm thinking the problem is compounded by the fact that just last month we had some BSL junk proposed in the NM state legislator. We fought it and won - the language is gone, but....

There is just no denying with this fellow... maybe I'm just not prepared to confront that ridiculous new part of dog ownership so directly.

I have so many things going around in my mind.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm saying get him!!! But I'm kinda partial to the Bullie breed.

In all seriousness, I'd say let your heart guide you. If you think this would work out, then I don't see a problem. Look at yourself 5 years from now... Can you imagine that dog in your life, if so, get him...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts