Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably sounds like an odd question, but hear me out. My sister has a dog, and apparently people think it's a cat whenever they first see it. So I thought it would be funny to get her a cat toy for Christmas, but I want it to be something the dog can still play with rather than end up in the trash in two days. The question will likely be easier to know if you have both a cat and a dog, but is there any toys that's for cats that dogs also like or a toy that can be for a cat and a dog?

·
Registered
207 Posts
A dog will play with a cat toy the same it'll play with a dog toy - dogs don't really make the distinction. I've found that most dogs with interest in toys (some have less interest overall) will play with just about anything they're permitted to play with (be it their toy or your favorite hat).

If you're going to give a cat toy as a joke, be cautious of the durability. Cat toys have very small parts, and if the dog is an aggressive chewer it may ingest the pieces, which can cause dangerous health issues Something like a Dingle-Ball would be safest (pictured below) which is an easily identifiable cat toy.

Something like this feathered mouse isn't a good idea, its has a lot of shred-able parts that could be torn off and eaten.

In short, know how aggressive of a chewer the dog is, and choose something as durable as possible! A Dingle-Ball is probably the best bet, if you can find one make of hard rubber rather than hard plastic (which shatters) thats even better.

Best of luck, and have a safe and merry Christmas!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nobbly wobbly balls come in different sizes. My puppies, when they were still in the 15 - 30 pound range, enjoyed the cat sized one with a bell in the middle. It survived puppy mauling fine. I just don't let them play with it any more now that they're big enough to swallow it whole.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I think the Fat Cat toys would be best. Their dog toys and their cat toys are very similar, except for the catnip in the cat toys (which won't hurt a dog). Presuming, of course, that the dog is small enough not to swallow a cat toy (I assume he is if people think he's a cat!). If you get a mouse shaped one it should be easily recognizable as a cat toy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts