Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my area, at least, I’m not sure what cat “rescues” actually do because I’ve contacted several , recently, about a couple of strays in my neighborhood and they won’t take them. The shelters are all full. What are these rescues collecting money for if all they do is tell people to build outdoor shelters for stray cats, who would never survive outside anyway, after having loved indoors? I know for a fact, that one in my immediate area, is nothing more than a woman who feeds cats outside her house.
What is someone supposed to do to help stray cats, then? For whatever reason, people don’t have any problems with moving and just leaving cats behind. I don’t think, for thr most part, at least, people tend to abandon dogs that way.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
If the shelters are full, the rescues are probably full, too. If they don't have space or funds for additional cats then the responsible thing is not to take on more so they can do right by the ones they currently have.

I don't know much about cats, but as I understand it, there are a few really nasty contagious diseases that are common among stray cats in some areas, so cats from unknown backgrounds would need to be quarantined on entry. I would imagine not all private rescues are equipped to do that and may only accept owner surrenders.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is really one disease that they’re concerned about. However, most strays have had homes and are unlikely to carry that disease.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
All it takes its one cat with one disease, so quarantine is the responsible thing to do.

I think your blame is somewhat misdirected. Government shelters are funded with public money and should therefore be serving the public good and accountable to the public. Why are you holding private rescues to a higher standard?

IMO whether a rescue handles one animal at a time or one hundred, they're doing a good deed that they weren't OBLIGED to do, and helping animals that wouldn't otherwise be helped. (This is, of course, not including places that are actually doing something truly fraudulent or neglectful.) Each organization is only equipped to take on so much, dependent on funding, volunteers, physical space, etc. If they want to keep going year after year, they need to pace themselves. If you feel strongly about the need to find these animals homes, are you yourself donating or volunteering? It seems like you're expecting these rescues to do something you yourself aren't willing to.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have 5 rescues now and I receive no funding at all. So, I do expect that official rescues, who do get funding, to be a little more proactive.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I'd be very surprised if the rescues you're taking about have funds. Some very large, well established non-profits have a charitable foundation, but the average animal rescue does not, they just operate on donations. Either way, they have to stay within their budget, which is usually modest. If they're at financial capacity, they're at financial capacity. If they can afford to feed, vet and house X number of cats, a cat needs to go out before a new cat can come in. They don't have a bottomless well of money to draw on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think vets could help too. I know for a fact, that my vet has a huge practice. I know about business expenses but this is a very well-established vet. Why not help people who are willing to try to help stray animals by offering some sort of discount? There are certificates for low cost spay and neuter but not for actual vet care, if you don’t want to stand in line at a clinic. I just don’t think people are concerned enough about these animals. If I had the means, I’d establish a physical shelter. I’d take more in if I had the room but without getting any kind of donations, whoch I also knoe thr local rescues receive a lot of, I am spending all my money on pet food.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Rescues don't get donations from fairies. They get donations by doing their paperwork to qualify as non-profit organizations, then by running down potential donors, doing events, generating publicity, appealing to businesses, etc., all of which takes time and effort. You COULD do this if you wanted to. Ordinary people do it every day.

Have you actually ASKED your vet whether they'd help if you brought in a couple strays? My vet definitely would, but he's not gonna put a sign on the counter saying BRING ME ALL YOUR CHARITY CASES because he'd be inundated by people trying to get free/cheap services, because everyone, including those who can actually afford to pay, seems to think the vet owes them something. He doesn't - it's a business.

I'm not trying to get up in your finances, but I'm a little confused here. You can afford, in time, space and money, a purebred Lagotto pup, but you don't have the time/space/money get a couple of stray cats desexed, vaccinated, and rehomed on Craigslist? It's great that you're concerned about the cats, but it seems to me that you're not concerned enough to do something other than make it someone else's problem, in which case I don't see that you have any higher moral ground than the rescues or vets you're criticizing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts